Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Just joined this forum.

I've been running since last October, but only on a structured program since february or so.

I run three times a week, right now trying to improve muscular endurance (never get short of breath but legs tend to give out comparatively easily):

1. Long easy run - 11.3M in around 1h40 (approx. 8:50 pace), will increase to 12.5M.
2. Tempo run - 3.2M @ 8:30 pace, followed by 1.25M @ 7:25 pace, will increase distance.
3. Cruise intervals - 5x0.625M @ 7:36 per mile pace with 2 minutes recovery, will increase reps to 6 and then switch to 3x1.3M @ 7:36 per mile pace intervals and work my way up to 5x1.3M.

Mainly, I'm following the guidelines set out in "The triathlete's training bible" by Joe Friel and a 1960s book by Jeff Galloway. I'm going to start the cycling and swimming this summer when I have a road bike and pool to hand.

I have run a 10K (6.25M) in a hilly course in training in 52 minutes in march, and more recently ran one on a flat course in 50 minutes (in april). This was in training.

My first race is in July and I would like to know whether my goal of sub-47 minutes for 10K is reasonable. Also, there is a friend of mine who I'd like to keep up with who has a race time of 43 minutes or so. Would it be reasonable to try and follow him at the start of the race?

Cheers,

Michael

Edit: Re-posted all times in miles instead of Ks.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I can't really comment on your training, partly because I work in miles rather than Ks... are you in the UK by the way? But if you're following a schedule and you're happy with it, and not getting bored but also feel that you are progressing then carry on :)

However, I would not try and stick with your friend at the beginning or you may hit problems later on in the race. It's best to work out a pace that will get you round in the time you're aiming for and keep an even pace

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Loughborough :).

Re-posted all times in miles.

Thanks for the advice, it's what I had in mind although that little voice in my head has been tempting me to follow him for as long as I can and tough it out.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
headspin said:
Thanks for the advice, it's what I had in mind although that little voice in my head has been tempting me to follow him for as long as I can and tough it out.

In the words of that annoying Nationwide ad... it don't work like that ;)

Ahh... Loughborough, that's where the top sports college is isn't it? Is that why you work in Ks?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Headspin,

I would say you are probably in 47 shape now if you are doing those workouts and feeling ok. The intervals are at 10k race pace I see, so as long as you arn't shattered after these then I would suggest you are probably ready to run 47 or better with the adrenaline of a race.

I like the training plan, it's very solid and will really help build your stamina for the 10k distance.

If you are in the earlier stages of training then you may be able to get down to 43 fitness by July but if you are very fit already it may be difficult to improve by that much before then.

You can either go from 1k to 2k reps as you mentioned, or you can try to lower your 1k reps by a second or two a week.

I'd suggest you try lowering the times slowly for the reps every week and worked on increasing your tempo run further as it's very short and fast at the moment( more like one hard interval rep than a tempo run). Maybe start with 3 miles at 8:30p then 3 miles 7:45p. And then try an add 1/2 a miles a week until you hit about 5 miles @ 7:45p

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
LazyJones said:
I would say you are probably in 47 shape now if you are doing those workouts and feeling ok. The intervals are at 10k race pace I see, so as long as you arn't shattered after these then I would suggest you are probably ready to run 47 or better with the adrenaline of a race.
I'm not completely shattered after them though I am tired enough that I probably wouldn't be able to complete another rep at the same pace.

LazyJones said:
If you are in the earlier stages of training then you may be able to get down to 43 fitness by July but if you are very fit already it may be difficult to improve by that much before then.
Hmm...I can see myself doing 45 in a few months with the adrenaline of the race and all, but 43 seems like a distant goal right now. Unless that changes, I'm gonna go with Trinity's advice and run the race at my own pace. But if I think I can do sub-44, I'll follow him from the start and try to stick with him as long as I'm not going deeply anaerobic.

LazyJones said:
You can either go from 1k to 2k reps as you mentioned, or you can try to lower your 1k reps by a second or two a week.
I'm gonna work on the distance for now, muscular endurance is the main issue, not speed. But yeah, eventually I'll work on cutting the pace down too.

LazyJones said:
I'd suggest you try lowering the times slowly for the reps every week and worked on increasing your tempo run further as it's very short and fast at the moment( more like one hard interval rep than a tempo run). Maybe start with 3 miles at 8:30p then 3 miles 7:45p. And then try an add 1/2 a miles a week until you hit about 5 miles @ 7:45p
That's a good point. I'll try that starting this week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Trinity said:
Ahh... Loughborough, that's where the top sports college is isn't it? Is that why you work in Ks?
Hehe, no, I'm pretty sure they work in miles too. It's just that the Jeff Galloway book I own is a French translation so everything is in Ks and I got used to it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Headspin,

Fair enough with extending your reps rather than speeding them up, they're two ways to the same goal, so either will work.

I'm sure you'll improve pretty consistently before July so fingers crossed you can give your friend a bit of a run for his money! But I agree don't sell your race on the day if you're not convinced your quite ready to match his pace.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Would it be possible to increase the number of runs you do each week?
3 runs/sessions is really the barest minimum.
Even adding a couple of easy runs (4 or 5 miles) in between the ones you currently do would improve your overall fitness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pedestrian said:
Would it be possible to increase the number of runs you do each week?
3 runs/sessions is really the barest minimum.
Even adding a couple of easy runs (4 or 5 miles) in between the ones you currently do would improve your overall fitness.
I'll try adding an extra easy run per week for now, and if that goes well I'll add a second like you suggest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts