Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting at the back and I'm sulking. :(

there were 5 categorys on the form, the last 2 were 2h30, then 2h30+, back in april when i entered, i put 2h30+ because I had never ran the distance before. somone else i know running ticked the box 2h30, he is number 2000 odd. I am 12000 odd!!

They group you into colours, and my colour starts at the very back. I know it doesn't affect your time.

But everyone will think I am just a slow coach running with the rhino and scooby doo's and beer belly people.

Is that how these races work - you need to stick with your colour rather than the time you think you'll finish?

grump grump

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I'm starting at the back and I'm sulking. :(

there were 5 categorys on the form, the last 2 were 2h30, then 2h30+, back in april when i entered, i put 2h30+ because I had never ran the distance before. somone else i know running ticked the box 2h30, he is number 2000 odd. I am 12000 odd!!

They group you into colours, and my colour starts at the very back. I know it doesn't affect your time.

But everyone will think I am just a slow coach running with the rhino and scooby doo's and beer belly people.

Is that how these races work - you need to stick with your colour rather than the time you think you'll finish?

grump grump
Just think how you'll feel when you overtake all the scooby doo's - there is no worse feeling than being overtaken by someone wearing several kilos of fancy dress, I can assure you, so starting even with them should negate that possibility :lol:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
If its the london Marathon you're talking about,you do need to stick to the colour penn that you have been allocated, but if you are sure that you can run faster than you originally thought, there is nothing preventing you from moving nearer the front.

Most people will finish 2:30plus anyway!

IMHO there is no shame in completing a Marathon in any time.

Don't worry about rhino's passing you, I had pepperami man in front of me at 20 miles.

He didn't finish,I eat him.:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahahaha

Ah, this is a Half Marathon - Run to the beat in London.

I plan to finish in 2h20 ish. I plod along at 10 minute miles, but haven't got further than 10 miles in training. if im faster then i'd be very happy. However - I am at the very back of roughly 13000 runners!

all the people who ticked the same box as me, which would be a high majority, there will be a mix of abilities, but I'm going to be behind everybody, fun runners and all!

So was just wondering if there was a glimmer of hope that on the day, they ask you to line up according to your time estimation. Ive only ever ran in a couple of 10k competitive races, where you have about 40 runners who are all extremely fit. So I was looking forward to this race, because it'll be a big mix.

Now I am just at the back again!!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I don't think the organisers would do that - 13,000 runners is a lot of people to have milling about based on their "brand new estimated time" on the day, that's why they pen people off well in advance.

Stick with your position. FWIW, my last few races I have deliberately started at the back of the field, there's no shame in it, and next time you can estimate your time afresh when you enter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cant stop giggling at the thought of running behind a pepperami!

As i pretty much thought. Was just hoping.....

Back to annoying the hell out of my work colleagues whinging about being at the back.

grump grump

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You'll soon pass those slower than you so don't worry about being near the back...good luck.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Exactly...it's not so bad...and the cheery folk are mainly found at the back of the start line anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts