Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about getting a pair of lightweight 'race' shoes especially for competing in. Will a lighter pair of trainers make much difference to performance? I am 5 seconds from breaking my 10k PB and need all the help I can get ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Race shoes

When looking at racing flats you need to consider the following....
1.How heavy are you? >11st you need the cushioning and support of a trainer
2.How fast are you? If you can't run faster than 7 minute miling then don't bother.
3.How efficient are you? Racing shoes are for the biomechanically gifted unless you go for a 'stable' one like the DS racer from Asics or the Brooks racer ST:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply steepler...

steepler said:
1.How heavy are you? > 11st you need the cushioning and support of a trainer
I am just over 11st

steepler said:
2.How fast are you? If you can't run faster than 7 minute miling then don't bother.
Yep sub 7 minute miles no problem.

steepler said:
3.How efficient are you? Racing shoes are for the biomechanically gifted unless you go for a 'stable' one like the DS racer from Asics or the Brooks racer ST:)
I guess you are referring to my running style? I think it's OK, I am a neutral runner and would consider my style to be efficient.

From my answers above it sounds like it might be worth giving a pair a try?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Having not worn or raced in flats I can't give any real advice on this.

However, if you want to look at something a bit lighter than normal shoes then you could look at something like the Asics DS Trainer. Not as light as the DS Racer, with more cushioning, but a lot lighter than the 2100/2110 or the Kayano.

I have a pair of DS Trainers and ran my first race in them the other night, beat my 5k PB by 40 secs. A lot of that is down to better training, but I did feel a lot more efficient in them than my 2100's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, the DS Trainers look nice. Will have to give them a try next time I'm in my local running shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everest, another pair you might consider for longer races or if you need a little stability, are the Saucony Fastwitch Endurance. I use these for racing at all distances above 5K. I wanted a racing flat with some stability. These shoes are super light, and even if you don't actually break PB's in them, you feel faster in them.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Go for it!
Just make sure you use them for some faster sessions first so that your calves get used to them!
Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Saucony Fastwitch Endurance

BoabyBoy said:
Everest, another pair you might consider for longer races or if you need a little stability, are the Saucony Fastwitch Endurance. I use these for racing at all distances above 5K. I wanted a racing flat with some stability. These shoes are super light, and even if you don't actually break PB's in them, you feel faster in them.
Thanks for the reply, just out of interest what shoes do you wear for everyday training?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts