Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I'm quite new to running. I was just wondering what the ideal race weight for my height is - I'm 5'4".

Thanks, Dee

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't know, is there an ideal weight? I'm 5ft 3 and weigh 8.7 stones, if i go lighter than this I just don't feel right.

I wonder if everyone has their own individual ideal weight, I know if I go over 9 stone I don't feel as fit;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
A lot of it depends on your actual build. I'm 5' 5" and usually weigh 8 stone, give or take a pound depending on the intensity of my training.

I know if I go much lower then I don't feel so 'strong' physically

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'm down to 10stone 7 at the moment...well below my normal "fighting weight"..I'm 5'8.5"

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Hopefully our resident statician Luthor1 will see this thread and post his thoughts/stats... Generally think it's reasonable to say that weight (specifically) isn't so much of an issue - a more ideal target would be combination of weight and body fat ratio (owing to all that muscle being heavier than fat stuff).

Looking at a Body Mass Index (BMI) chart would be a reasonable starting point to understand a healthy weight for your height. I've been running for 3 years now and I'm still only just within the 'normal weight' category... bordering on overweight :eek: though I know plenty of people my weight who look a darn sight unhealthier! :p

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
are you ok Steve? Or is it just the training...
Sure am Trin, thanks.
Just the training..still eat like a wild pig....not Prescott like though!!;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steve said:
Sure am Trin, thanks.
Just the training..still eat like a wild pig....not Prescott like though!!;)
good to hear!
But don't lose any more weight... you'll disappear :huh:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Trinity said:
good to hear!
But don't lose any more weight... you'll disappear :huh:
Well I was surprised when I got on the scales...so had to get on another set at the gym club to check!!

Eating 2 cheese sarnies right now mum!!:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
steepler said:
I was that weight at 21
Well so long as you stay healthy Steepler... I was about 7 and half stone when I was 21 but now I find if I dip lower than 8 stone I actually don't run so well

1 - 20 of 38 Posts