Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you pounding the streets in a race this weekend?
Where? What?
Confident?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes Steve City of Manchester 10k on Sunday.

Confident - NO

Can't do races I get all nervous but only once I start running. I must be mad putting myself through it I'm so bad at them.

Getting scarrrrrrrrred now:worried:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep, same race as Dimple.

I feel a mixture of confidence and dread - the race will be at a much earlier time than I normally run, and I most definitely am not a morning person :'( I also have this weird idea I'm going to end up going the wrong way but am sure I will get it right as long as I follow the correct runner in front!!!

Still, looking forward to it, will be different from my last one I'm sure, more experience under the belt, am just going to try to enjoy it whether I perform at my best or not - will just try my best and that's all I (or you Dimple!) can do ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being nervy pre race is normal..it should boost the adrenalin!

It's amazing how one feels every ache and pain on the morning of a race....:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Ooooh, yes I am racing! lol... it keeps slipping my mind :lol:

I'll be pounding the country roads of Wilmcote - Stratford-upon-Avon in the Stratford Summer Six on Saturday Evening (7.30pm start)... Six mile race in a lovely setting, steep downhill on the way out at the 1 mile marker that becomes a seemingly even steeper hill coming back towards the finish at the 5 mile marker. (Think 'Glooston' Steve/Trin/Nat)

As for confidence... confident of what? That I'll finish? - Pretty confident of that! That I'll PB? - Pretty confident of that too! Last 6miler was this event 2 years ago, and if I haven't improved I'll be pretty f*cked off! lol.

I'll be loosely aiming for sub 36mins (<6min/mi) though that entirely depends on how I'm feeling when I reach the hill... If I make it then AWESOME, as i'll be back up to full fitness, sub 37mins and i'll be happy.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck to all racing at the weekend, look forward to hearing the results :d

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm doing the London 10k on Sunday. I'm pretty confident, though the fact it's not penned at the start and 24,000 people are running may put paid to a good time. If I get a clear run at the start i'll try to go sub 38, if the masses result in a super slow first couple of miles, I may just cruise and then blast the last km for fun!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not the weekend, but doing a 5K at Glasgow Green on Wednesday evening after work. Looking forward toit, perfectly flat, ideal for pb.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Good luck if anyone else is racing today (and good luck to those tomorrow as well!) True to form i've got plenty of phantom aches in the legs this morning :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Plenty of aches in my legs too, I could always crawl I suppose:). Just don't feel up to it physically and mentally.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Plenty of aches in my legs too, I could always crawl I suppose:). Just don't feel up to it physically and mentally.

dimple, you need to find something you do like about racing as it sounds like they are becoming a chore, yet you are doing so well.

I am find really looking forward to my first, probably because I have no idea what to expect.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
cowman... half ironman distance on sunday.. first outing for new race bike.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
dimple, you need to find something you do like about racing as it sounds like they are becoming a chore, yet you are doing so well.
It's cause I'm stressed at the mo with other personal stuff, I'd be fine otherwise. I would pull out but don't want to let anyone down.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
No point in letting yourself get down about it Dimps! are you entering with anyone slower than yourself? if so why not just run along with them? it'll make it much more enjoyable for you as there'll be no stress, and it'll help them no end! :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm not racing this weekend, but have raced the past three weeks (2x20km's & 1 5km).

My next race is on Wednesday night, the JogScptland 5km in Glasgow. I ran it last year and its the flatest course I'v ever raced.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
No point in letting yourself get down about it Dimps! are you entering with anyone slower than yourself? if so why not just run along with them? it'll make it much more enjoyable for you as there'll be no stress, and it'll help them no end! :)
Thanks Richard I wasn't stressed on the day so that's good.

My mate is a lot faster and she did it about 3 minutes faster than me. But I relaxed at the start and didn't go too fast, so I felt a bit stronger half way round. I didn't improve my time but I enjoyed the race a whole lot better. Bring on the next one!!:)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Glad you had a good one dimps... :)

Had a good one myself, starting a little slower than usual and it worked well, I felt a lot stronger throughout the race and although the hill made the last mile bloody hard, I didn't have to drop to a walk like I did last year. I was targeting 36mins as an ideal time, 37 as an 'id be happy' time, and sub38 as 'satisfied'. Course was rainy and windy but I felt great and finished in 35:59... 15th place. I think that time would've put me in 8th place last time I ran this one! Happy days... sore gluteals today though :(

·
Registered
943 Posts
Did the Race for Life today which was nice. Don't think the course was the right length though. Need to do a proper race so I can get an accurate time!

I was definitely faster than the 95 year old who did it though ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts