Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up on Friday morning feeling quietly confident for the forthcoming ultra. The weather was perfect, a dry, bright and clear day with a temperature of 8 degrees. The race was, 6 hours to as many laps (4.37 miles) as you can. I felt that I could run around 35 to 40 miles within the time limit, with the added bonus of, you can finish any lap that you have started when the 6 hours is up. My target gave me a good window for lap times 39:59 to 45:53 per lap .
Lap 1 was 40:01 and although I could feel a little tightness in my glute I was going OK. At halfway round lap 2 the glute was getting painful so I slowed a little and Lap 2 was completed within the target at 41:48. During lap 3 the wheels started to fall off, my leg was really tight and the pain was getting worse and I was slowing step by step. Then the incisional hernia I have in my abdomen ‘popped’ out, and although it was not painful it was certainly uncomfortable. Lap 4 and I am walking and jogging, lap 5 and I meet my wife along the course and she walks with me for a couple of miles, I tell her that I will probably ‘Ring out’ at the end of the lap. I got to the end of lap 5 but decided that I would do a 6th lap, Lap 6 seemed like an eternity, I did manage to jog a couple of short sections but when I completed the lap I knew I could go no further so I threw in the towel.
It is now Sunday and the glute is feeling 100% better and I am moving around with little to no pain, I am hoping a 2 or 3 week break will get me back to normal.
I am not sure if I will attempt another Ultra. All my training this year was to get in shape for this race, including the Leicester marathon. With Leicester being cancelled and the ultra not going to plan I feel I have finished the year without accomplishing anything and it all feels a little flat.
Hopefully 2020 will be a better year.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I’m sure when you look through what you have done this year, and break it down by months and weeks, there will be lots of positives.

I have seen all your training on Strava for this ultra, and it was impressive. You inspired me to go out twice a day, but my second run was a recovery. As for the ultra, you still managed to do 6 laps which is still an achievement.

I think while you are recovering, now is the time to look at why you run and set some different goals for next year.

·
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Graham, I am beginning to get my head around this. I do have a race planned for April, the Madrid half marathon, so plenty of time to recover and rebuild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts