Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To everyone who ran a half today congratulations.

Envious of you all I extended my long run to cover the distance. This is the furthest I have ever run and I finished in a personal best 2:07:39. What a great feeling to finally reach the distance.

Let us know how you got on today :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Just the 10K for me - The Great Scottish Run version - and my first race for almost 20 years :)

44 min 24 sec

Was hoping to break the 45-minute barrier, so am really pleased and now gives me a marker to try and beat after getting some more training under my belt.

:)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
To everyone who ran a half today congratulations.

Envious of you all I extended my long run to cover the distance. This is the furthest I have ever run and I finished in a personal best 2:07:39. What a great feeling to finally reach the distance.

Let us know how you got on today :)
I take it you are now fully recovered from your injury? I thought you were going to be out of action a bit longer. That's great that you made the distance, and in a very respectable time. Congratulations!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers JB. I am not doing as many miles a week in total and mix more non impact stuff in. This seems to be working and I set out today quite prepared to cut it short at the mearest sniff of a niggle. However it went well and I did the distance :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Well done folks, some good times there.

I did the Glasgow Half today and managed to struggle round in 2:17:53 - 20 minutes slower than my PB and 15 mins down on my other half this year.:(

Good news is, I have another half this year to redeem myself.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did the Glasgow half in in 1:58:28. It was my first and I was aiming for under 2 hrs but somehow feel a bit disappointed. I guess I was secretly hoping to do a bit better.

Did everyone else find the course very congested? Especially the first mile or so I ran it in 12 mins (I was aiming for 9 min miles), just couldn't get past all the people crawling up the hill. I'm thinking of doing another half in November so will really try and focus to do better then.

Maybe I'm just upset because husband ran the 10K in 50 mins with almost now training. (my PB is 51 and I worked hard for that!)

Well done to everyone else who did the races, overall it was a good day out.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done on breaking 2 hrs Runningshoe. You should be proud. Don't worry about hubby, just run your own race (or put laxative in his tea before you set out :) )

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well Done Runningshoe sub 2 hr is very good.

Why not try the 1/2 in November whilst you have the miles in your legs :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Did everyone else find the course very congested? Especially the first mile or so I ran it in 12 mins (I was aiming for 9 min miles), just couldn't get past all the people crawling up the hill. I'm thinking of doing another half in November so will really try and focus to do better then.
The course is always very crowded, both for the half and the 10km races.

Which half are you doing in November? I've signed up for the Buchlyvie Half on Nov 16th.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Soz - saw this post in the 'unread posts' section and for some reason thought you were on about the GSR in general - didn't see which forum it was in and I'm harping on about a piddly wee 10k :p

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats ok Badz. An achievement is just that regardless of the distance. It wasn't so long ago that a 10k was just a distant dream to me. And it is still a challenging distance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Soz - saw this post in the 'unread posts' section and for some reason thought you were on about the GSR in general - didn't see which forum it was in and I'm harping on about a piddly wee 10k :p

Don't worry, I love hearing about everyone's races:) and loads of my friends did the 10K. I actually think once I've got this obsession with distance out of my mind and run that marathon I may decide that 10K is my favourite race distance.

Thanks for kind words everyone, don't know what my problem is, since I achieved my goal why am I not happy?

Grant the 1/2 I'm thinking of is in Fort William, I think it's late November. My running buddy doesn't fancy it as it's a long straight in and out course so I might google the one you're doing. Am also doing Hopetoun House 10K end of Sept and seriously thinking about Loch Ness 10K the week after. Will have to see though, husband not a big running fan and divorce due to neglect may become an issue:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
runningshoe... you feel unhappy simply because although you set yourself a goal, you felt you're capable of a lot more than that. Now whether you knew before you started the race that you'd be able to manage your goal, or whether it's because you know you could've ran faster if it weren't for the congestion I don't know... with me it's usually the former.

I set myself a half marathon goal to reach by the end of 2008, and to be honest even if I make it I won't be particularly excited... based on my 10k time I should already be 3mins under it, and based on my 2008 goal 10k time, I should be nearly 6mins under it!

At the end of the day, the fact that you're not completely happy with your result isn't a bad thing at all - Just remember you achieved the goal that not too long ago would've seemed bloody hard!!! But now you're above that, and need to set yourself a new goal to aim for ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
did the half (my 1st) in 2:24. feel a mix of happy to have completed and disappointed not to go a wee bit quicker.

generally found the course to be OK. quite congested at first but i guess thats always going to be the case. However i can imagine it could be a frustration for those of you looking to go out a reasonable pace. being a plodder it wasn't really a problem for me.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I know that it is very subjective but I'm interested in hearing other views on the step up from 10k to half marathon. I'm fairly fit, did a 10k (way back in may) in 41 mins and am doing a half on Sunday. I've only done one 1.5 hr run (boredom stops me more than anything) but usually run for 45-50 mins. I am fairly sure that I've got the legs to complete the race (injury permitting) but would like to do it in 1hr 45. Is this realistic, considering my lack of training and 10k time?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
41mins is a fine 10k and assuming your legs are up to it, 1hr45 will be a relatively easy target for you.

My first 10k was 45:49, and was soon followed by a 1:40:01 half marathon... really, if your endurance matched your speed, you'd be looking around the 1:30:00 mark for the half marathon, but I would be surprised if you dropped 15mins as a result of not running for more than 1hr 30min in training!

In summary, 1:45:00 is not an unrealistic target at all, and you certainly have a bright future ahead of you if decide you want to put the miles in :)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
THanks for the reply.

So so frustrating that I am going to have to pull out due to injury. It was my first half as well, and I was certain to wipe the floor with my work colleagues!

1 - 20 of 178 Posts