Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for an 8 mile run today after 2 days rest, and half a mile in I had an experience I've only had 3 or 4 times before in my 3 years of running. I suddenly got a pain in my lower back. Kind of like a strong ache/spasm. I ran through it, like I have in the past, and after 3 miles it disappeared. What could explain this? When it happens, it's almost enough to make me want to stop, but if I keep running it disappears and I never feel it after the run or the next day. Is it just a random thing that happens? Maybe tension or something? Anyone else get this?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
does it happen simply while running along? or do is co-incide with any particular movement? perhaps stepping off a curb, checking over your shoulder, dodging an obstacle of some sort?

Being half a mile in all I could suggest is that perhaps you suddenly put strain on a muscle that's not warmed up and elastic/flexible so Mr Brain tells you he doesn't like it with a short sharp burst of pain?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it happen simply while running along? or do is co-incide with any particular movement? perhaps stepping off a curb, checking over your shoulder, dodging an obstacle of some sort?

Being half a mile in all I could suggest is that perhaps you suddenly put strain on a muscle that's not warmed up and elastic/flexible so Mr Brain tells you he doesn't like it with a short sharp burst of pain?
It doesn't seem to happen after a particular event or anything. Just randomly aches, then aches a lot more, then disappears. It's only happened 3 times before. First time it ever happened was last year when I ran up a hill. When it happened last night, I had taken 2 days off from running and was quite stressed, so maybe that was it. Hopefully I won't get it again tonight because it isn't pleasant and slows me down to 7:20 pace.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It doesn't seem to happen after a particular event or anything. Just randomly aches, then aches a lot more, then disappears. It's only happened 3 times before. First time it ever happened was last year when I ran up a hill. When it happened last night, I had taken 2 days off from running and was quite stressed, so maybe that was it. Hopefully I won't get it again tonight because it isn't pleasant and slows me down to 7:20 pace.

This sounds more like sciatic nerve problems to me as I know someone who has suffered with similar symptoms. Get it checked out.

I don't understand why you feel the need to mention your pace at every opportunity when you post. You always seem to consider your running paces as poor, when I suspect that you do actually realise that they are very respectable. The question that you have asked here is not about your pace, so why mention it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
This sounds EXACTLY the way mine was/is.

I've had this now for about 5 months. Lower back, one side first, then the other. Would hassle me for about 3 miles, then clear off. My problem is i've put some weight on in the last year, and i reckon thats my issue - but i havent found a stretch that gives me any relief.

Today i did my second half marathon, and its been ok.

I went to my physio who said it was due to my posture - yeah possible, as i do a lot of sitting, and in the wrong position. That coupled with my weight, is the answer I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts