Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was a strange experience for me... I shall commence my story...

Well the day got off to a bad start when I pulled off the drive to head for work and my engine warning light came on :push: I won;t go into details but the car still ran fine so I continued on my way. Got to within 800m of work, 10mins before I was due to start and traffic comes to a halt. There's a van on its side at the entrance to my work. I ended up sitting there for an hour whilst the vehicle was removed.

During the day I spent time trying to work out what was wrong with my car, eventually I located the problem and decided to attempt to fix it once I'd got home from work. Once at home I set about trying to fix the problem (a faulty oxygen/lambda sensor)... giving it a clean before refitting - engine warning light still comes on. I could always buy a new one, but at £300 from a dealer, on a car that's worth not much more, I'm not sure if it's worth it!

Anyway, fiddling with the car made me late getting ready for the evenings club race... a 4.75mi race, one lap around a severn trent water resevoir thingy. I thought I was going to be okay for time, since it's a staggerred start, and I usually set off 10mins after the first group.

I left the house, eager to make the 30min journey as quickly as possible... 1min up the road I realise I've forgotten my garmin, so I head back for it, and then set off AGAIN.

I reach the destination of teh race, but can I find where everyone is? can I fork!!! eventually I come across one of the racers (already running) and cheekily ask him for guidance... I arrive and jump out the car 20mins late, what I thought was 10mins after my group would've set off.

I spoke to the race organiser (former club chairman) and said that I knew I was probably too late to be timed, but if he could just tell me where to head I'd just do a lap on my own. He was very accommodating and said it was fine, asking me what my predicted finish time was. A quick calculation and I guessed around 28mins... "Right... well put your watch/GPS thing back in teh car and off you go"... eh???

I was very confused, but it turns out the race was a 'target time' race, with the person getting closest to their estimated finish time being the winner. LOL! so EVERYONE had set off at 7:30... and by the time I started I was over 20mins late. OOOOOOPS!!! Still, I set off alone for a fast paced run - I wanted to treat it as a 10k target race pace run, and had veyr little care for being the closest to my estimated finish time.

I had a great run, allbeit completely alone! and finished - though they wouldn't tell me my finish time (all kept a secret until results are announced to all). I needed to shoot off so thanked the race organiser for accommodating me - I'm now waiting patiently to see the results to find out my time! Will it be above or below my predicted time? and by how much?

Target pace was 5:47/mi but I don't think I achieved that - sub 6:00/mi is a must though to ensure a happy RS ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
heard anything yet?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
What about now?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
draycote is a nice run... not sure i'd go all that way for just the one lap ;-)

car should still run without lamda sensor.. mainly its there to adjust fuel/air mix and stop you frying the cat. might be losing fuel economy tho.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
and if it makes you feel any better i got back from work on tuesday in a foul mood after a telcon with some difficult customers at work and a meeting that went on 90mins later than scheduled.

consequently i had no turnaround time to get to a group bike ride across town... didnt have time to get my training bike out so had to take the race machine.... and knew i didn't have a clean pair of cycling shorts to wear.

so i was in a foul moode flapping about.

just before i left the house i couldnt find my garmin so hunted madly for it cos i recalled taking it off the charging cradle already. gave up and went for the ride. wife had sent a txt while i was flapping and they had waited.

10mins from the end of the ride i noticed my garmin.

on my flipping wrist!

good days.. bad days.... comes to us all at some point matey.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still not heard back from the race organiser, and no update on the club website - though I do know now through chasing a number of people that I was apparently 15 seconds off my predicted time... just not which way I was off! LOL! Unless of course they're winding me up :mad:

So assuming that info was correct, my finish time was either 27:45 (avg 5:51/mi) or 28:15 (avg 5:57/mi) - I sincerely hope it's the former, though my head's telling me it was probably the latter :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts