Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else go out for a run in the deluge last night and find rivers running down the road faster than you were running ? :eek:

There are some very boggy fields at the top of the hill near where I run, and I guess they just flooded as any lanes leading from the hill were just oozing water.

I also had to sprint at one stage to get past a spot where the road was flooded to get past it before the next car came and sent a wave across the pavement :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I found that battling the elements added a bit to last nights run.

But once in a while is enough...................:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was lucky last night, it belted down right until I put the trainers on and stopped and actually was quite pleasant, know what you mean about the cars sending waves across the pavement tho'.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It was really dry here in Edinburgh last night. Went for a nice 6 mile run, no wind or rain :) Thought I'd just rub it in :p

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I love the rain, and have had some of my best races during heavy downpours or even thunderstorms. I'll often go for a run BECAUSE it's raining!:rolleyes: But in the extreme, the rain can surprisingly add a more sinister twist to a running experience...
...Was on a club run once after/during some heavy rainfall, and one of the young lads almost got washed away in a stream :eek: . The only bit of him that didn't get submerged was the portion of his shirt that I'd grabbed to yank him back out! :d
On another occasion, whilst spectating at a fell race (I'd come across the race by accident during what turned out to be a three hour training run), I jumped into a swollen stream to rescue a "damsel in distress". Ordinarily, this particular stream was nothing more than a trickle, but due to some heavy snowfall, followed by more rain, the trickle had become the proverbial "raging torrent". I'd been following the race to the point where the route crossed the stream, when one of the girls taking part had her legs washed from beneath her and had gone under completely. The shock and the speed of the water had left her disorientated and she was being carried helplessly downstream! I managed to jump in as she was passing me, and drag her to the surface. She quickly recovered and was soon back in the race - probably no wetter than she'd been before her "swim"!
I always wondered how I didn't get pneumonia that day. Out in wet and freezing conditions for over three hours. Before I'd found the race I'd encountered more than one flood and had been waist deep in the water on more than one occasion. Strangely, I never felt the cold to any significant degree during the whole "expedition". I hadn't even had "Ready-Brek" that morning. :d

1 - 6 of 6 Posts