Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Nick.
I have been a member for a while now but this is my first post.
Got to say when people say this is a site full of friendly info they are not wrong!!:d
Firstly a quick description of where i am at the moment.
I am 6ft and 14 stones and really keen on loosing some weight.
I have been running a mile circuit on and off, since xmas but not been able to develope a routine or progress much due to a cold that would just not go away.
Now i am feeling a bit better i am looking for some advice on where i should start in creating a training routine:confused: .
I gave up smoking last July and have decided that running will be my motivation to keep off the ciggies!
I am not training for anything other than fittness and progress.
So where do i start??
Thanks for listening,
NickH

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well done for kicking the weed, if you've managed 6 months then you're through the worst of the cravings.

With regards the training, this is what worked for me, but then everyone is different.

If you use a gym, I found that a lot of inclined fast walking mixed with some gentle flat jogging helped shift the weight initially and it's also easier on the untrained knees. After about 3-4 weeks I gradually progressed to running. Once I'd got to regular running, I was challenged to run a half marathon, which kept the momentum going and gave me a goal.

As I said, this worked for me, but I think getting into the right mind set is key to all of it. A bit like giving up the weed really and you've proved you can do that!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
A decent training schedule needs to be a combination of productive workouts that fit in with your existing commitments... You can't get a whole lot better than some of the beginner schedules available as a starting point (try runnersworld.co.uk for a few) and see how they'd suit you. You can always change/adapt them to suit :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Nick

Welcome to RF.

I think you should set yourself a goal of perhaps a 10k later in the year and follow a schedule, there is nothing like a goal to keep you going.

Good luck

TT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts