Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also new to this forum, usually post on Runners World but been told about this running website so I'll thought I'll see if I can help anyone out regarding injury, training advice, races etc etc.

Looking forward to posting a few replies / threads and hopefully qualifing for the free pair of x socks!!!!

Real Runners. Turning Joggers INTO Runners. www.realrunners.co.uk

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Welcome, I like the sound of becoming a runner instead of a jogger - I'll have a gander now and report back.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
Welcome, I like the sound of becoming a runner instead of a jogger - I'll have a gander now and report back.
What`s the verdict Granty ?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
This needs to be the subject for tomorrows question I think Steve.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Real Runners said:
How did you get on yesterday Steve? I take it you raced? Where? Nice course?
http://www.realrunners.co.uk
It wasn't a race on Sunday just my last long training run before my 1/2m this Sunday.

Should've been a fairly easy 12/13miler on a regular route with other club members but there was a bit of faffing after I'd run 2.5 m to join the group so I got cold, began to lose interest and then when we got going my legs were heavy and I had to walk, and I never do that! Ended up doing at best 8.5 miles.:embarrassed:

Still it could be a blessing in disguise...when I pulled out of the Bury 20 a few years back I followed up with my marathon pb. Here's hoping! :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve.
While we are on the subject of bad runs on sunday,can you or anybody else offer any advice to me with this.

Last sunday 5/11 I ran a PB 50.03 in a local 10k.
It took quite a bit out of me,so I didn`t push myself too hard for the first part of the week.

On friday I really pushed and ran a course of around 6 1/2 miles in my quickest ever time.

Had a really hard weekend of labouring but decided to go for a run on sunday evening before going to the pub.

I managed to get about 2 miles down the road,but then had to stop and walk home as I had nothing left in the tank.

I`ve got the Chelmsford 10k this sunday and wondered how I should handle the lead up too sunday.

Blimey,That was long winded.

Cheers............:confused:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good days and bad days dave, I think it is as simple as that.

I have had the same, some days you run, it goes well and you feel like going further than normal, a couple of days later, it's a struggle to get down the drive. (extreme case I grant you)

3 days before my race, I could only run 3 miles and had to walk back, really worried about the race on the Sunday, Sunday came and all was OK.

I think that you need to do nothing out of your normal schedule and just acccept that these things happen .......... (sometimes!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Firstly Dave - Congratulations on your 10km PB - always nice to get one, what was the course like? Next step sub 49 minutes!

As for how you are feeling - its important to remember that each running workout you do places stress on the body. That’s what it’s designed to do. But the higher the intensity and the longer the workout, the greater the stress. If you run hard and long every day, the body will not have adequate time to adapt and recover before the next workout. Eventually, you will suffer an injury if you run hard and long every day. Nobody can sustain that much stress without breaking down.

I would recommend a couple of "EASY RECOVERY" runs, running @ 90 seconds slower per mile than your 10km pb pace (50 minutes equates to 8 minute miling, so run 9 minutes 30 seconds for each mile). This will help realign the muscles a little, plus it will help getting blood flowing to help heal any micro-damage done by the previous couple of day's training.

As Granty said "...do nothing out of your normal schedule". I would also recommend a couple of cold baths after the easy runs. I know its sounds crazy but it truly does help with repair and recovery.

Good Luck Dave

Real People, Real Fitness, Real Runners.
www.realrunners.co.uk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehehe -

The cold water basically shunts blood flow to the legs while submerged (the blood vessels constrict). When you get out of the tub, the blood rushes back (the blood vessels dilate) bringing in oxygen to the muscles and ligaments; meanwhile waste byproduct from hard workouts (lactic acid) gets flushed out.

Honest it helps and is used often. I'm sure it wont spoil your social life Runningfox!

Train Hard. Train Smart.
www.realrunners.co.uk

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
How long do you have to stay in the cold bath?

[involuntary shiver]

The words, LONG and COLD BATH have no place in the same sentence.......:eek:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Granty's right Dave.
There are good running days and bad ones. Last Sunday just happened to be a really bad one for me!

I think I have overtrained having not had my normal summer break and am therefore now starting to pay for it. In your case I suspect you just did too much in too short a time.

I plan to do a 5 miler steady tonight but if I don't feel right I'll abort. My next session is a speed session on Thursday and again if I'm not right I'll stop. Like you my next race, a 1/2m, is on Sunday so overall I aim to reduce my mileage this week and not do much else in terms of gymwork in the hope I feel refreshed for Sunday. I suspect if you do the same this week you'll be ok Sunday too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts