Runners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a general question: I started running ( age 60) 17 days ago( three times a week). I walk/ jog 5k. On my first day it took me 1 hour. Last Friday ( 29th ) it took me 38 minutes. Two problems: it's still 50% walking , 50% jogging and secondly I cannot jog more than 500 metres. What is an achievable 5k time after say 4 months training? In my youth ( age 30 and 3.5 stones lighter) , my 5 and 10k times were 19.31 and 42.14 but obviously these are no longer possible- is 25 minutes realistic?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Hi
well done for getting back to running. I see there’s a post by double5 who’s older than you and put in a 21+min 5k so 25min can obviously be done but you’d have to push yourself I think.
You’ve managed a 38min 5k but needed to walk half of that? You must be fair motoring when you are running. I’d suggest changing your route - can you do it the other way round? - and slowing down. Going back to basics really.
Good luck,
Pip

·
4,456 Posts
I would suggest joining a club and/or getting a coach, it certainly put my running back on track. sub 25 mins would be possible if you can train regularly and are willing to put in the groundwork.

·
4,456 Posts
Just to show what is possible, when I captained the England Masters M65+ team in the Wales 5k our team members best times for 2022 were:
Derek Jackson (M70) 19:01
Des Gibbons (M65) 19:59
Steve Hillman (M65) 21:33
Clive Rose (M65) 21:50
Michael Nutt (M65) 22:49

As I said above, joining a club or getting a coach will help, if you have a nearby parkrun, try one out they have a large spread of ages and abilities and if you use them regularly you will be able to map your improvements. Keep it up and the times will follow, let us know how it is going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts