Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current HM pace is 10min/mile. My goal is to get that down to a 9min pace for the same distance. What's a realistic time frame for that based on your experiences?

I run 25miles a week on average, and it looks like this. It's based on what I enjoy doing, rather than any official training plan.

Monday - 10km hill run
Wednesday - Half marathon or slightly longer at a slower pace
Friday - 3-4 miles of fartleks

I have some loose goals for Summer next year - either a Half Ironman or just a full marathon, but nothing's set in stone yet. The next 6 months will be focused on improving my swimming, but I'd like to keep pushing my HM pace too. How realistic is 9min/mile in 6 months?

Edit: I forgot to add that I do squats and lunges one day a week too.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My current HM pace is 10min/mile. My goal is to get that down to a 9min pace for the same distance. What's a realistic time frame for that based on your experiences?

I run 25miles a week on average, and it looks like this. It's based on what I enjoy doing, rather than any official training plan.

Monday - 10km hill run
Wednesday - Half marathon or slightly longer at a slower pace
Friday - 3-4 miles of fartleks

I have some loose goals for Summer next year - either a Half Ironman or just a full marathon, but nothing's set in stone yet. The next 6 months will be focused on improving my swimming, but I'd like to keep pushing my HM pace too. How realistic is 9min/mile in 6 months?

Edit: I forgot to add that I do squats and lunges one day a week too.
Should get to 9 m/m no probs :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
Have a month of base running,ie easy mileage building up gradually then add a tempo run every week, say maybe 2 wu,2 @9 min/miles and a mile warm down.Build the tempo section in the middle till your doing maybe 6 or 7 at goal pace ,then up it again with a couple of the tempo miles a little bit faster than goal pace (8.30-8.45 pace.)
4 weeks before your next half marathon try a 10 mile time trial at goal pace which should be around 1hr 30 minutes.If you manage this then your giving yourself the best possible chance of a sub 2 half marathon.(9 min/pace)
This is what i did,it wasnt easy by any means but youve got to beleive you can do it,its the minimum requirement you need to acheive your goal.
Good luck and let us know how you progress
David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Half marathon training schedules are designed to fit the goals of runners at all levels. Runners should select a program based on their goals for the half marathon and their current level of fitness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts