Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post - hello! :)

I have been running for a few weeks now and have built up to around 30 mins, covering around 4.5k in that time.
Im trying to work out whether to enter the manchester run (10k) in 5 weeks time as a few friends are doing it.

The plan is to do a long run friday this week and if I can run for 45 mins then Im going to enter it. Do you think this is a reasonable goal to build up to in just 5 weeks ?

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum and well done on your achievements so far!

I reckon as long as your goal is just to finish the run but not in any specific time then ye, 5 weeks for a 10k run should be fine. Don't push yourself to hard though otherwise you may injure yourself and then you wont be able to run the 10k at all!

Slow and steady :)

Are your friends at the same fitness as you or have they been running for a while? If they have been running for a while don't get pressured in to running faster than you are comfortable with, run the race as if you were the only person doing it, enjoy it, don't kill yourself to keep up with others.

O.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dalecom.

I think you would be able to do it, even if you had to run/walk for a few seconds.

My first 10k i did was slow but i got round and under a hour so i was well chuffed.

:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and welcomes :)

I wont be trying to keep up with my friends - Ill be happy to just finish.

Im glad to hear that Im not being unreasonable with the training time, I thought I might have been cutting it a bit fine at 5 weeks.

I'll let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
dalecom said:
Thanks for the replies and welcomes :)

I wont be trying to keep up with my friends - Ill be happy to just finish.

Im glad to hear that Im not being unreasonable with the training time, I thought I might have been cutting it a bit fine at 5 weeks.

I'll let you know how I get on!
I agree with the others, you should be able to make it round the course. Even if you add five minutes on to your long run every week between now and the race you'll be running for about 55mins - at your current pace, you'll be covering most of the race distance in that time.

Good luck with the training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts