Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have entered next years Edinburgh Marathon I was wondering what a realistic time would be for completing it.

This year I managed it in 4hrs 50mins and I would hope to get well below this for next year since I only started running in January.

Place your bets now :)

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Now that I have entered next years Edinburgh Marathon I was wondering what a realistic time would be for completing it.

This year I managed it in 4hrs 50mins and I would hope to get well below this for next year since I only started running in January.

Place your bets now :)

O.
I would think at worst, you will manage a sub 4:30, but based on your half marathon time, I think you should be aiming for 4:00 - 4:15 I think you could easily do that in the time you have, if you train right and maintain the motivation.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Now that I have entered next years Edinburgh Marathon I was wondering what a realistic time would be for completing it. This year I managed it in 4hrs 50mins and I would hope to get well below this for next year since I only started running in January. Place your bets now :)O.
For my first marathon I set my sites on eight minute mile pace which, for a 55 year old, I considered quite reasonable. I missed my target by 19 seconds and put it down to the fact I'd only averaged 24 miles in my last twelve weeks of training. At your age Owain I'd be aiming for sub-3 hour!
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sub 3 hours would be amazing and I guess if I started my training now I might be able to manage it.....maybe?
Not sure where to go with the training though. Last year I just followed the marathon training plan which seemed to get me round the course. Is it worth trying to speak to a personal trainer or has anyone got any suggestions on how to get my training started now rather than 12 weeks before the marathon to allow me to get the best possible time I could get.
I run with the club Tuesdays and Thursdays which is great for getting a long run in and also some speed work in during the week but what else should I do for the non club nights, Monday, Wednesday and Friday? (I tend to work during the weekends at the beach and spend my time running around then anyway).

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Oooh... well if you're thinking of a training overhaul, that's a different kettle of fish! If I were you I'd think about how much time you can spare, or rather which days you're able to run on and take it from there. Increased weekly mileage will reap massive benefits, as will the weightloss that should accompany it! :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
On those non club days ...at least two of them... you should look to do medium distance easy/ steady runs.

5 runs a week should result in the ultimate dividend.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can do 5 days a weeks, with the weekend off.

Here is my thoughts :

Monday: 30 - 45min run
Tuesday: Club run usually about 10miles, not sure what happens in the winter months.
Wednesday: 30 - 45min run
Thursday: Club speed work, interval training
Friday: 1 hour run.

I reckon I could easly start doing this from next week without any risk of injury as I feel my fitness can handle it but what does everyone else think? Should I modify the schedule a bit?

Im actually quite excited about stepping up my training, as Richard said, the weightloss would be another boost really since Ive kinda stopped loosing weight just now.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'd stick with that but would make the Weds run 30 mins max and run as a recovery run.
You will need to up mileage of course to do some long runs in due course.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I was about to ask where the long runs were - but Steve beat me to it :) for now that sounds great, have a think about where your long run would fit in though... Monday would mean you're doing a long run on mon, followed by med-long on tues... tuesday is club run... wednesday would mean you;re shattered for thursdays speedwork, and friday means you'd still be shattered from thursdays speedwork.

Based on your schedule above I'd probably take a punt @ Friday :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The other option is I do a long run on a monday night say 1hr 30ish then on Tuesday I just take my time and if I feel up to the 10mile run then fine, if not there is always a shorter route we can take. As I said, not sure what the club do in the winter for their long runs. Will know more once the October schedule is put on the website, we might just do 5 or 6 miles on a Winter night which means the long run on a Monday might work in well.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I think I will try and get 5 days running in next week and see how I feel. I might need to go and buy some more running socks / shorts though otherwise I will be washing and drying every 2 days! :)

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I do believe I have enough pairs of shorts/socks to last a whole week before throwing the whole smelly lot into the washing machine!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think 3 pairs of shorts and 5 pairs of socks should be fine for a 5 day session and then I can wash them all together on the Friday night ready for the following week.

O.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Owain, I'll be doing my first marathon in NY next month. I've been training since February, I've loosely followed a plan in Bob Glover's Runners Handbook, but my main aim has been to build up mileage to be able to get round. My long runs have been reasonably flat, but I've done one shorter run per week that includes a couple of steep sharp climbs and one 2 mile steady climb, which seems to have helped my performance. So far so good, but the end result will be how I perform in the marathon.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You guys are incredible, I've been running since May and still can only manage 2-3 miles at a go. How do you do it?! :huh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Lizzie, I started off doing 2-3 miles, but built up gradually each week. I found the step up from 2-3 miles to 5-6 miles was harder than going on to do longer runs. Dan

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounds tough Dan, the most I've done is 3.2 miles which knackered me for a couple of days after. Now my knee is crocked so I'm stuck, how much did you increase by each week? they say about 10% is right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes about 10% a week worked for me, I also did some slow longer runs to see how I felt, if it felt too hard or a picked up a strain I'd just reduce the distance for a week or so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts