Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have been running about 2 and a half years and have done a couple of 10k runs the last of which was 15th April, around 1st May about 20mins into my run I got a sharp pain working up from the top of my right foot up into my shin. It felt at first like I'd tied my shoe too tight but it was fine. Got so bad that I have rested it for 10 days, went out yesterday to test the water and I set of fine but after 10 mins it was back, only ran for 30mins, this is so depressing, I feel really down. I am going to docs tomorrow but feeling low. Any advice would be welcome.
:(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
You say the pain comes after 10 mins and does this then get worse until the pain becomes unbearable? Or do you get some discomfort at the start of the run that disappears once your muscles have warmed up and then starts aching later after you stopped running? I could a number of things: compartment syndrome, stress fracutres or medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS). The former two are charaterised by a crescendo pain.

The problem is to get an accurate diagnosis you woud have to go and see a recommended sports physio or therapist as the symptoms for each are very similar. I would ice your shins after every run (this makes a huge difference), try and keep your stride short when running and google some shin strengthening exercises. If its stress fractures you will have to stop running whilst they heal.

Shin supports may help you but if they make things worse this could be an indication of compartment syndrome. I am assuming that you've checked out the obvious like your shoes etc?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, my daughter was asulted in the week, punched in face, she is ok, very bruised, they caught the B that did it, going to court!

Anyway my shin took a back seat as you can imagine, I went to docs on Wednesday, she was very up on stuff, I have got to have xrays, she is almost sure it is a stress fracture, she has told me not to run until I get results, swim or cycle only Boo Hoo!!

Will keep you posted x:(

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm sorry about that but it is best not to run you will make it much worse and you have the rest of your life to run.

I hope your daughter is ok as well that is awful news ((((hugs))).

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Have you got the possibility to run on grass? Like... on a golf course?
If it is a mild stress fracture, that could be a good option to get back to training sooner.

All the best to you and your daughter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts