Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have just started running after basically doing nothing for 5 years, I work from home so have done very little. This was the reason I wanted to get fit. Anyway everytime i run I get pains, mainly in my lower back and side, it feels like a muscle cramp, sometimes i can run through the pain, other times I have to stop. This happens about a mile into the run, never before.

I even rested for a couple of months, but it came back the first time I ran. This is becoming a real problem as it happens everytime I run and is becoming so frustrating. I also get a stich 75% of the time also, even though I don't eat or drink before I run.

I have tried everything, has anyone any advice. I have contacted a sports therapist but dread to think of the cost. I live in Huddersfield by the way, so any advice on who to see would also be good. I just want to be able to run without the pain as I am hoping to join a club once I get my fitness up, but it is just not possible until I sort the problem out.

Thanks for listening

Paul

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Evening,

My first thought would be that due to having done nothing (from the sound of it) to all of a sudden running a mile+ would be that you are maybe running too fast, and the body is just not use to it. Some people find running on an empty stomach works for them, but you could try having a little something before you go out.?

Mayeb to increase a base level of fitness, do you have a bike, if so try a few miles on this combined with a smaller sized run.

Above all, take it easy at the beginning, and gradually build up.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Have a friend film you running. Then watch it and check your posture.
For a few years I had very strong back pain and breathing problems when getting to the last 1 or 2 miles of a hard race.
Then I saw that I was tightening up when accelerating.

Otherwise, like Granty said, make sure you start slowly, don't be in a hurry to "get there" and get very fit.
Adequate rest is what allows the progress to be made and no damage done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I have also in the past played 5 a side, I do cycle often now and play the odd game of squash and swim once a week, the pain never comes in any other activity, it is just frustrating. Anyway I think a trip to a sports therapist is needed, whatever the cost it should be worth it if I can sort the problem out.

Paul

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Also check the obvious things like - have you got proper running shoes? Did you buy them from a running shop and did they assess you before recommending a pair for you?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Steady Edwina - That I know of, we have nothing like that here in Portugal. In a shop, someone may give you advice but that's it.
What does that assessment consist of in British shops?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Fulmar... it's a gait analysis, where they get you to run on a treadmill, often with a little video camera directed at your lower legs and feet, which is also hooked up to a computer. Generally they first get you to run on the tready without any shoes to assess what, if any, support you may need. Then they try you with various trainers until you find the pair that are correct for you, giving you the support you need and are most comfortable. It's great because you can see so much on the playback on screen and the gait analysis person dissects how your ankles and feet behave during each running step, so if anything is likely to cause, or be causing you problems, they can try to correct it with certain types of running shoes.

Some shops simply have a sensory mat that you run across, which is hooked up to a computer and shows your foot roll, but this doesn't give you so much information. It just indicates whether you may be over-pronating or not. To be fair though, the staff usually then get you to run up and down a stretch of street in various running shoes and use their experienced knowledge to see how much/little support you need.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
All my local running shop did was get some 17-year-old to prod my foot and say, nervously, "yeah they fit OK" :mad:

Was this Sweatshop that did the video analysis? I might have to go and check it out :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Some Sweatshops do it, but mostly they are in the second catagory...where you run across a sensory mat.

Asics have a good video gait analysis programme that constantly tours the country. You don't necessarily have to buy a pair of Asics shoes...just say your thinking of it...you know, bluff a bit ;) That's what I did. Anyway, you can find out where they are via this link http://www.techtours.co.uk/index.php

Of course, there will be the usual Nike stand at the FLM expo in April, and they were doing video gait analysis this year so I expect they will be doing it again.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Katten,
If you live in Exeter I assume that you went to Ironbridge Runner? Not all running shops have a treadmill or do video gait analysis. Most experienced staff will have a look at your existing running shoes to examie the wear pattern, watch how you walk across the room to see if your foot rolls inwards or outwards and some will even watch you run down the street.

Ironbridge Runner don't have a treadmill but you can pay £20 at the sports clinic (this used to be next door to their old shop) where they will do a gait analysis for a shoe prescription but there is also The Runners Guide at Torquay and Frank Elfords in Plymouth.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
If you're in Exeter you can get a free video gait analysis at Ironbridge Runner
10 Lower North Street, Exeter, Devon, EX4 3ET on 1st December if you book through the link I put in my last post.

Like I said, it's run by Asics but you can bluff your way through it, saying you're thinking of getting some new runners but unsure about what to get etc etc. That's what I did anyway :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
actually, what I did was had my video gait analysis, made a note of the recommended shoes for me and obviously ones that felt good, and then bought them cheaper off the internet ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Shoes, and running posture. When you are jogging, look 20-25metres ahead. Gentle loose-fist grip, slightly roll the shoulders. Land heel first slightly on the outside of the foot and then have it roll flat to the ball. If it goes onto the ball and off the little toe - SHOES :)

Breathing is inportant. Try the 2-2 pattern so as you run left-right-left-right breathe IN-IN-OUT-OUT. See?

When you get a stitch, say on your right side, swapp over your breathing starting foot, so if you started right foot IN-IN, swap it to left foot IN-IN-OUT-OUT so the FIRST breathe-in contraction is on the alternate foot. This swaps the combination of muscles that stabilises you and breathes you in and can alleviate a stitch.

At whatever point you get the pains coming on (say 1 mile for arguments) when you get HALF WAY stop and dynamic stretch for 90 secs, then stop on the MILE and dynamic stretch again.

Eat something starchy around 6 hours before running, and not to be too graphic, ensure you are completely 'empty' as the effort made by moving waste through your system can cause the pains you describe.

You may also have a pulled core muscle. All the organs hang from your head to toes, and the muscles that hold them will be getting stronger with running, and you could have twinged something in there. Sounds unlikely though as long rest has failed to relieve it. Try those things above if you like, see how you get on :) good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE: Bought myself some good running shoes and things were far better, still getting a stitch but furthur into the run. I am trying to warm up better and not push myslf as hard.

Thanks for all the advice, puff...pant...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Katten, I have very little pain around my sides now, don't expect miracles, but some progress, it is far easier than when I started, no where near as much pain.

Luther thanks for your long informative post, I looked up a lot of info on stitches and pains etc and they said similar to what you have so I have put a lot of this into practice, so thanks for again for the advice. I am not ready for the knackers yard just yet.

Paul

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, I went along to the free gait analysis thingy, it was really interesting, I could literally see my feet rolling inwards with neutral shoes :eek: It was run by Asics, but they had me trying on Saucony and Brooks shoes as well, the whole thing had no hard sell element at all :cool:

I now have a nice, shiny new pair of Asics 2130s (although the Brooks shoes were a very close second) - they fit like a second skin, discourage my feet from doing too much acrobatics, and I look forward to trying them out :d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts