Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been running on and off for a while and after every run I get a really achey back. Could this be because I wear normal trainers and not running shoes?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It could be...

It's probably because you've got weak back muscles and they're straining to deal with all the extra stress you're putting on it.

I picked this up myself a while back.

Are you spending a fair proportion of the day sitting in uncomfortable chairs or driving? If so that could also be a reason.

Try doing back extensions and some of the others, suggested in the thread on most useful core exercises, that should sort you out.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Agree with Bryn R.
Go to a proper running shop where you can have a gait analysis before buying the correct running shoe for you.Worth spending reasonable money on right shoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have just found a coach on tiredandtested.com who's created a programme of stretches for me to do before my runs. Any recommendations for shoes?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have regualr seesions with a chiropractor as my last two vertebrae have become locked. It was getting better but I went for a swim and inflamed it again.I don't generally get pain when running (I really tey to focus on my posture then) but when I've been sitting down for long periods - unfortunately have a desk job.

What strengthening exercises are you doing? I've recently took up pilates (although I was on holiday last week and missed a class) and I find it really helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts