Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya!!!

Im a complete newbie to running. After having a baby a year ago i have starting seeing a personal trainer, to loose the last stone, and he suggested i go for a run at the weekend (only 10 minutes).

Now i thought it would be easy, so i stretched (as instructed), walked for a couple of minutes and took off at a steady pace, after about 4 minutes i had to stop and could hardly catch my breath! My throat was really sore and i ended up walking for a minute and then trying to run the rest of the way!!!!!!

I feel such a failure and it has put me off doing it again, only problem is my trainer wants to take me running again this week and im dreading it!!!!

Any tips with relation to breathing, technique, etc!

(sorry to ramble on!)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sounds like you were possibly trying too hard. It should be possible for you to hold a conversation as you run (yes, I realise you may be on your own, but this is a usual measurement for regulating pace judgement). If you haven't the breath to do this, then you're going too fast.
Don't worry about having to walk. You'll find that if you slow your initial pace, the necessity to walk will decrease. :)
Just keep up the good work. It WILL get easier. ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Bevos said:
Hiya!!!

Im a complete newbie to running. After having a baby a year ago i have starting seeing a personal trainer, to loose the last stone, and he suggested i go for a run at the weekend (only 10 minutes).

Now i thought it would be easy, so i stretched (as instructed), walked for a couple of minutes and took off at a steady pace, after about 4 minutes i had to stop and could hardly catch my breath! My throat was really sore and i ended up walking for a minute and then trying to run the rest of the way!!!!!!

I feel such a failure and it has put me off doing it again, only problem is my trainer wants to take me running again this week and im dreading it!!!!

(sorry to ramble on!)
Firstly, you're NOT a failure and it's unfair of this personal trainer to expect you do 10 minutes solid when you've never done it before.

Why not try running / walking intervals instead of running all the way? That's exactly how I first started out and eventually built it up so I walked less until I reached 30 minutes of constant running. Many people run towards a chosen point in the distance and then walk towards another chosen point and repeat until they feel they've done enough. Some people run for 5 lamp posts / trees and then walk for 5. When you get stronger and fitter you'll find yourself really getting into it and running more than walking.

A personal trainer (in my opinion) is only there to motivate you. Once you're focussed, he's surplus to requirements. In this case, he may have put you off running for life. I'd sack him and use this forum as motivation and go at your pace in your time.

Best of luck,

A. :)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
andrew_n said:
Firstly, you're NOT a failure and it's unfair of this personal trainer to expect you do 10 minutes solid when you've never done it before.

Why not try running / walking intervals instead of running all the way? That's exactly how I first started out and eventually built it up so I walked less until I reached 30 minutes of constant running. Many people run towards a chosen point in the distance and then walk towards another chosen point and repeat until they feel they've done enough. Some people run for 5 lamp posts / trees and then walk for 5. When you get stronger and fitter you'll find yourself really getting into it and running more than walking.

A personal trainer (in my opinion) is only there to motivate you. Once you're focussed, he's surplus to requirements. In this case, he may have put you off running for life. I'd sack him and use this forum as motivation and go at your pace in your time.

Best of luck,

A. :)
Whole heartedly agree! although i would say that the fact that you've joined a runners forum speaks volumes about your intention to run.

Also don't get worried about times and distances do what you can do as andrew says run/walk even if it's only for a few minutes to start is absolutely fine .

After a few weeks you'll be able to run that little bit further and gradually over time you'll be running free

A gradual build up is a tried and tested method!!

Please also remember that we were all new runners at some point in our lives

We're all behind you on the forum well all do whatever we can to help and motivate

Good luck with your next run out !

Take it easy

Cheriton ;) :d :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I agree with everything thats been said.

Including ditching the personal trainer.

Plenty of motivation to be found on here.

You will get there in the end,and come to love it like the rest of us.

Good luck with it, keep us informed of your progress and ask anything you want.......

All the best.

Dave.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Indeed - you don't need a personal trainer! Think of the money you'd save!!

It's very easy to become discouraged when you first start out and you end up stopping because you can't seem to breathe enough - but it will get easier I promise! As pedestrian has said, try slowing down, you should be able to speak full sentences without too much problem, EVEN if it means dropping down to a jog that feels like you could walk faster than! :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your motivating messages!!

I had another session with my trainer this morning and he actually took me running. I found this really useful because i realised i was going way to fast originally!!!!! We were actually running/walking for 20 minutes and i felt great. I just dont know how much i will do on my own, id give up straight away!! But at least i know what to do now!!! Im going again tomorrow, ill keep you all posted!!!!

Thank you all once again

Bevos
xxx:d :d

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bevos said:
. I just dont know how much i will do on my own, id give up straight away!! But at least i know what to do now!!!

I run on my own just me my ipod and a huge amount of swearing cursing panting and bemused looks as people walk past me :confused:

I really didnt think that i would take to running (if thats what you can call it) and on a couple of occasions i have really considered not bothering, but eight weeks later my trousers keep falling down (thats the excuse i told the judge). On the two occasions when i have got fed up with the whole running lark this forum has motivated me again, personally sack the trainer set yourself a goal and go achieve.

If running on your own doesnt work then maybe a running club ?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Welcome to RF

I am glad to hear your second outing was more sucessfull, you can easily do it on your own, but it is good to have the suppport of someone too, whether it be your trainer or a friend.

Keep it going.

TT

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bevos said:
I just dont know how much i will do on my own, id give up straight away!!

Bevos
xxx:d :d
We wouldn`t let you................... punish.gif ...............:d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OOhhh no!!!!! Listening to you lot is enough to make anyone run!!!

Thanx for your support, i feel really determined to do this!!! Ill keep you posted.xxxxx:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Bevos,

I just wanted to say keep at it dont give up, it was only a few weeks ago that I started running outside in the real world and now Im completely hooked. Set yourself small but manageable targets each week, I used to pass people and Id be huffing and puffing, and I would worry about what people were thinking, but now I think what the hell at least Im not sitting on the sofa eating a bar of chocolate.

The support you get from the people from this site is brilliant and it should be enough to keep you motivated.

Good luck.

Shaz.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
srhfan said:
Hi Bevos,

I just wanted to say keep at it dont give up, it was only a few weeks ago that I started running outside in the real world and now Im completely hooked. Set yourself small but manageable targets each week, I used to pass people and Id be huffing and puffing, and I would worry about what people were thinking, but now I think what the hell at least Im not sitting on the sofa eating a bar of chocolate.

The support you get from the people from this site is brilliant and it should be enough to keep you motivated.

Good luck.

Shaz.
Hi Shaz great to see your still at it thats brilliant!!

take it easy

Cheriton

·
Registered
1 Posts
just joined

(sorry to ramble on!)[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
joannetee said:

(sorry to ramble on!)
[/QUOTE]

Deja-vu, anybody? View attachment 276

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
looks like joannetee was in fact trying to quote the original message, but missed out the first 'QUOTE' tag. (notice the [/quote] at the end)

Seems strange how there was nothing added to after it though? Welcome to the forum Joanne - if you exist! :)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
looks like joannetee was in fact trying to quote the original message, but missed out the first 'QUOTE' tag. (notice the
at the end)

Seems strange how there was nothing added to after it though? Welcome to the forum Joanne - if you exist! :)[/QUOTE]

Well spotted, Richard. At least someone's paying attention. :d

1 - 20 of 26 Posts