Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, with some good weather ahead hopefully, any particular sunblock that anyone would recommend ? (the fact that when running sweat lashes off me in anything other than freezing conditions makes me worry sunblock would just wash away, leaving me at the mercy of those rays !)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The hottest place I've been this year Richard was Ardlui IN SCOTLAND. I was on my way north to start my coast to coast walk, and the one thing I hadn't packed was Sunblock - which I was beginning to regret. Thankfully, it cooled off a little. But throughout my twelve day walk it rained very little and I only had to wear overtrousers for about 15 minutes. However, I did get burnt and I'm still peeling. I shall certainly take Sunblock when I go north again later this year. For what it's worth I normally use Ambre Solaire, factor 15.
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I use Banana Boat Sport spf 30, brilliant stuff. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I just tend to use cheapy stuff from Tesco or Boots... as long as it has the relevatn UV protection and is of a reasonable SPF I'm a happy man. I don't tend to burn much to be honest!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm really fair and burn with the slightest sign of the sun! I use one formaluted for kids factor 50 as like you i tend to sweat alot and most kids sun cream are water resistant i'll have to look up the name!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I tend to use baby sun lotion, why? Because if I do sweat and the lotion goes in my eyes, it doesnt sting!
Some of the cheaper stuff and even the expensive stuff when it gets in your eyes stings like crazy! Water resistant stuff works well too.

O.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Moving away from the thread title slightly, is there a difference between sun block an sun screen?
Sun block does exactly that sun screen stops you burning but allows you to gently tan.

Useless fact coming up ....

Until the 1930's tanning was not in common practice if yopu had a tan or weatherbeaten look you were of course from the lower classes and a manual worker .

It was Coco Channel that made tanning popular !

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I never find I burn... usually the clouds do a good enough job of blocking the sun, that and the fact that I probably spend more time indoors over here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You don't have to burn to get skin cancer Richard. Any un-protection exposure to the sun will increase the risk whether you burn or not ! The reason your skin goes brown in the sun is because its trying to protect its self from the suns rays. Ideally we should wear sun screen every time we leave the house .... even in winter!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I understand the risks, but is this not a slight case of wrapping ourselves up in cotton wool? Has skin cancer from exposure to the sun always been such a huge problem??

Surely we should encourage our body's natural defence mechanisms? It's like the fact that everyone seems to have really weak immune systems nowadays and get colds etc? No exposure to dirt, germs etc like in the olden days meaning our bodies don't develop a natural barrier to infection?

*awaits shooting* ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't worry Richard, I won't shoot you! :p

When it comes to sun protection I don't really think you can call it wrapping yourself in cotton wool! Skin cancer incidences have increased quite dramatically over the last few years. Whether this is due to people spending more time in the sun or because of the thinning ozone layer I have no idea. Maybe the problem was always there but the media has made us more aware of the dangers! Whatever the case is, I doubt that you can "train" your skin to me more tolerant of the uva and uvb rays in the way you can train your immune system to tolerate bugs.

I don't think I wrap myself in cotton wool over anything. I'm not overly fastidious when it comes dirt and germs (thats not saying that I live in a hovel or anything) I keep my house clean but don't disinfect everything to within an inch of its life like some people and my family is very rarely ill ..... even when half of my childrens school had a tummy bug last year ! I do however always make sure that everyone wears sun screen (despite the grumbles I get from everyone in the process). I've seen people who have contracted skin cancer and its pretty unpleasant ..... often by the time its diagnosed its to late to do anything about it and does result in death.

OK .... rant over .... I'll get my coat! :|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts