Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all the runners out there!

I have lost 5 stones in the past year and want to DESTROY some annoying fatty bits hanging off my body! I heard running on an empty stomach would melt the fat right off, it is mostly bodybuilders that say this, so can I get some tips on this, any would do!

Secondly to knock two birds with one stone, I understand the importance of a warm down and stretching after running but what should I be eating and drinking to recover for the next day! I just ordered some for goodness shakes by the way!

Much obliged and keep up the hard work!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi Max,

It sounds like you've lost a lot of weight so the first thing to say is well done! It might be a bit tough to get rid of the fatty bits if it's down to excess skin, which I've heard can result from major weight loss. Having said that, I'm certainly no expert, so you might be better off seeking the opinion of somebody who is! :)

I once lived with a pretty serious bodybuilder and he used to go on long aerobic runs in the morning. The idea is that your body has pretty much used your energy stores overnight so you have to rely on reserves, meaning you do burn more fat. He certainly swore by this regime anyway, said it helped to keep him trim.

In terms of diet, I'd suggest what I suggest to any runner and emphasise the importance of carbs. They're not popular with those on diets but they are with runners! I read an article which said that, roughly speaking, a runner should rely on carbohydrates to supply about 60% of their diet. Of course it depends on the intensity of your work rate, too. Proteins and fat are obviously important. Something like baked potato with beans and cheese would provide all of these food groups and is pretty tasty too!

Make sure you're not running too hard all the time. Fat burning takes place primarily when you're working aerobically (in simple terms, you shouldn't be so tired that you can't speak while running - this would suggest that you're exercising anaerobically).

I hope the above helps; others here know their stuff perhaps better than I do so let's see with they say!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I would concur with roadrunner on the carbs. I eat a lot of carbs. I don't put weight on as a result because I run so much. But if I don't eat enough carbs my running does suffer. Also good to get some protein in you after a run to help rebuild damaged tissue.

As for running on an empty stomach, roadrunner is also correct that you will burn more fat, but I'm not sure this is a good thing to do in the long-term. I can't imagine it being good for your body. I have ran a few times on an empty stomach, but I try to avoid it as I can feel very lethargic on the run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts