Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LazyJones wrote in another marathon-related topic:

"Richard, training for a marathon will have a massive positive effect on all your other race times from what I've heard from other people, I'm really looking forward to running my next half in March of the back of marathon training."

I ran a 10K 2 days ago and I can tell you that it was a lot harder than in previous years (it was my 4th or 5th time running this same route).
Maybe the lack of speedwork? The fact that for the first two weeks after the Marathon I was just getting back to "decent" mileage? Or that I didn't do more than 1 session of speedwork in these 4 weeks?
Truth is, I felt very heavy... heavy legs...
In the end I spoke to a man who also ran under 3h for the same marathon and he told me the same... He felt very heavy.

Has this happened to you all marathon/ultra runners?
How long did you wait until your first race after the Marathon?
And what was the result?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I remember reading something about leaving a day per mile raced to properly recover before starting to train hard again... though to me that does seem a little cautious?! Nearly a month to recover after a marathon?

In saying that though - I've never done one so I wouldn't know!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Fulmar,

I would guess that you have trained very specifically for your 10k's previously, so Marathon training may had taken the edge off your speed. I was talking from the point of view of someone who is coming from a low base mileage to marathon training - and the benefits I would hope this would provide.

It sounds to me like you are still physically & mentally tired.

What's your next goal after your sub 3? I guess it's tough straight after achieving such a big goal.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LazyJones said:
Hi Fulmar,

I would guess that you have trained very specifically for your 10k's previously, so Marathon training may had taken the edge off your speed. I was talking from the point of view of someone who is coming from a low base mileage to marathon training - and the benefits I would hope this would provide.

It sounds to me like you are still physically & mentally tired.

What's your next goal after your sub 3? I guess it's tough straight after achieving such a big goal.
Hi LazyJones :)
It may be just that... What you say makes sense... Maybe I could have achieved a good result in a half-marathon instead (which is what you intend to do, yes?).

My goal now is for shorter distances.
I want to better my PB's from 1.500m to 10K (and in Autumn maybe in the half or again the full Marathon).
I was unable to do proper speedwork for about a year because of a groin injury but it seems to be getting a lot better.
And I guess I will adapt pedestrian's approach to my training and start running twice a day a few times a week.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Fulmar,

Yes i'm hoping training for the London Marathon will give me a good 1/2m time 5 weeks before, though I'm struggling with a knee problem at the moment (ITBS I believe).

Out of interest, what's your 1500m PB? I must admit a small goal of mine is to run a sub 5 minute mile at some point. I ran 5.17 last year without any specific training, so I think I have the potential at some point.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh you definitely do. An easy 5.17 should give you a sub 5 with some speedwork.

I ran 4'17'' already 8.5 years ago! :confused:
In that year I ran 3 times under 4'20'' (my PB at the start of that season was 4'24'').
I have a friendly rivalry with a runner who had 4'18'' and last year ran 4'16'' so I want to better that :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I manage to put in 3 months of dedicated, injury-free training I think I can do it then (with the help of a race in which I will have company for at least 1000m).
That's how I came to the 4'17''.
I raced about 7 times over 1500m that season and got the PB on the penultimate race.

Will you make a serious attempt at it before or after the Marathon?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Definitely after - I'm struggling with knee problems at the moment so I don't want to run any proper speed intervals, I'm just trying to get back to 100% fitness.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
(touch wood :d ) going OK so far, I have run more in the last few weeks than ever before and feel much stronger for it, nothing to report in terms of speed, but I have now reached between 18 - 20 miles for the week and have managed to do a 7 miler on Sunday just gone, this now increases a couple of miles each Sunday but I'm really enjoying the training so far (makes a huge difference having someone to run each time with as well as my mate is also running the FLM)

How's your's going with the injury, still managing to get some in ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like you're really buckling down, add a couple each week and you'll be running big numbers pretty quickly! - it's always good to have a running partner too.

I'm back running again this week but my knee is flaring up a little after each run - I've started doing ITBS stretches and icing the knee after each run but it's quite frustrating really. I'm going to do a longer run on Sunday so I'll see after that - I may have to cross-train for a while....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts