Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just a very easy and slow run the day after a 'normal' training session ? or is there something more advanced to it than this.

Ocassionally I feel sore (legs) after an evening run and I would say that I need at least a couple of days before my shins recover but maybe I should be doing this instead of stretching ?

Anyone regularly doing these 'recovery runs'?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
recovery runs are normally done after either a long run or a hard run, they help disperse the lactic acid build up in the legs, apart from that I think most runs should be done at a comfortable pace so you don't burn out for either your long run on hard run as you should only do one of each a week.

I do three mid week runs two comfortable one fast (fast in between the comfortable runs), long on a saturday and short recovery on a sunday, anything between 3-5 miles slow

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for that TT, would a lactic acid build up be a reason for sore calfs , nothing too much but tend to feel them for 2-3 days after a 8 or 9 mil run.?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would most definitely think so, it can also depend on what you eat and drink after a long run.... sadly alchohol is not ideal :mad:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I might have to try this out sometime this week then!. Are there any exercises that can be carried out when you get back from a long run to stop this build up of acid?

I sure I could find out on Google but would rather hear it on here before I pull something! :confused:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
The lactic acid generally builds up on long runs so when you do your recovery run the next day, it should be slow, because if you go out and run it fast, it has absolutely no effect on the lactic acid, or if you don't want run go out on your bike this will do the same thing and it is low impact. After your run I expect you do all the usual stretching holding each one for 30 secs, if so I don't know of anything else you could do.

I only know this by what I have read, heard and do myself, hope this is helpful :d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Granty,
Sorry to hear you are suffering with sore shins - joint the club. From what I've read up on the issue with sore shins its best to avoid running consequetive days otherwise shins tighten even more - I made this mistake this week.

Make sure you ice them immediately after runs, you need to stretch both the gastronemus and the soleus. I find it more effective to stretch these by handing my heels over a step rather than leaning into a wall. Shin strengthening exercises might help as well.

After a run as your cool down try walking and lengthen your stride.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou both, I did use to use the ice when I got back, this was when I was suffering with ITBS (I think this is correct) - this has gone away now and I stopped using it. (I'll start applying it again)

I must confess to not streching when I get back, cup of tea and head for the hot shower (I naively think a hot shower is good ??!??) - sounds like I need to , always stretch before going.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now don't you go worrying about me, its a young mans injury :p

Hopefully you have an ache or pain !! :embarrassed: (nothing too serious - don't want to win by default)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Granty,

I am training for London at the moment and my long run is on a Sunday - I always, always rest on the Monday to give my legs chance to recover, fibres to repair, hydrate etc before my next interval session on Tuesday, training run on Wednesday, interval Thursday, rest til Sunday.

If your shins are sore - go steady. Listen to your body.

Run, recover / rest, run = enjoy!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
Now don't you go worrying about me, its a young mans injury
You wont have it for too long then................................

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'd love to be able to run that often CB, I go with a friend on Sunday evening for about 7-10 miles, I then rest until Thursday when I then try same sort of distance again. I did try adding a 3rd run in the week as well but the legs (calfs / shins) definately said NO.

I guess playing Squash, badminton etc does not consititute rest ?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I go with a friend on Sunday evening for about 7-10 miles, I then rest until Thursday when I then try same sort of distance again. I did try adding a 3rd run in the week as well but the legs (calfs / shins) definately said NO.

Try a recovery run on the Tuesday after your long Sunday run even if it is only 2 miles and do it slow.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Rest is rest Granty...doing another sport counts as cross training.
My running regime at the moment, ie pre FLM, is:-
Mon rest
Tues easy to steady...7-9miles
Weds tempo ...4-6m
Thurs... easy to steady 7-9m
Fri rest
Sat...4-5m steady with some strides
Sun... slow long run.

If you can get out to do a run on Tuesday it would help I'm sure ...no need to run as far as Sun/Thurs...say just 4m with some sprints thrown in. Your legs will get used to it in time...assuming no "real" injury that needs treatment. Perhaps go to see a sports fizz...mine has done wonders for me.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Granty,
Have a butchers at this website:
http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/1079-shin-splints.htm

After a run I usually do my stretches after my warm shower but I also stretch daily and I do yoga and pilates during the week as well - probably too girlie for strapping lad like yourself but I find it offsets the intensity of running.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
There are a couple of blokes in my pilates class - one plays for Plymouth Albion and he is definately a strapping lad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts