Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, sorry I know this is a bit of an odd question but over the years I've collected a growing pile of race medals and although I've kept a few of the special ones I'm at the point now where I want to clear some of them out. Anyone know of a charity or service that uses old medals for a good cause? I don't want to throw them in the bin!!! P.S. I'm talking about just participants medals not the Olympic type! :p

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
awww- are you sure you want to get rid of them?

maybe one day when your really old and grey you may need them as a reminder of things :)

just to answer your question, i guess unless they are silver or gold etc they would just go in the recycling - which is really sad :(

you should keep them for the memories!

i've never come across anywhere personally that asks for them - you kinda get the clothes bank recycling- where they take shoes and handbags, you get the magpie dvd and cd recycling etc and of course the mobile phone ones

but never come across a medal one in my travels.

maybe give them to a charity shop or sell them as a job lot on ebay

sorry i've waffled on and not told you anything have i :lol:

how many you got ? where they from ?

i've collected about 80 now but i'm not gonna chuck em out :)

the marathon medals you can get a bit of money for on ebay but i guess you'd want to keep those :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Unless the race is VERY meaningful to me I look for a kid at the end and ask him/her: "Would you like to have the medal?"
The answer has been ALWAYS "yes". They are happy and the medal is happy. It doesn't have to be kept in a box.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Unless the race is VERY meaningful to me I look for a kid at the end and ask him/her: "Would you like to have the medal?"
The answer has been ALWAYS "yes". They are happy and the medal is happy. It doesn't have to be kept in a box.
thats such a lovely thing to do

how lovely !!! xx

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've only got one so far, and its my pride and joy at the moment :d I can't EVER imagine that I'd want to get rid of it! :lol:

I bet if you stuck them on ebay though that someone would buy them. Folk buy anything these days!!! Maybe you could then donate the profits to a charity of your choice? :tup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recycling of old medals - result

Have spent some time this morning trying to find somewhere that recycles old event - running, biking, triathlon, ironman medals. There are loads in the US but none in the UK and then I found the Warrington & Halton Hospital charity - they have a deal with a recycler and if you send in any old medals / old coins etc to them they collect and the recycler gives the hospital charity money for their wonderful work - amazing. You have to pay postage but I think that's a small price to pay to prevent landfill. So you send them to Warrington&Halton Hospitals Charity, Warrington Hospital, Lovely Lane, Warrington, WA5 1QG. And you drop [email protected] a quick note to say the stuff is coming ??

May help as if you do loads of events I'm sure you may have loads of medals just taking up space...

S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts