Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this one yesterday, my second half marathon (did the same event last year finishing in 2hrs and 3 mins). I've stuck fast to my training schedule the last 12 weeks, concentrating on a quicker pace on the shorter 5m runs and trying to maintain a steady build-up to 12 miles on the longer ones - as ever, some days were better than others:) Anyway, I set off on the race yesterday and decided I was going to run it steady and have some discipline and stick fast to my target pace. It felt a lot of the time that I was being left behind as folk zipped past me for the first 6 miles or so and I was thinking 'this can't be right, is my watch working? etc'. lol. But I just stayed with my pace. Then we hit a long hill, perhaps a mile or so long, and although I lost a bit of pace as it felt quite steep, I was starting to catch other runners up and gradually pass by some of them. Again at 9 miles some people were overtaking me and I just thought my whole day was doomed and I was going to finish the same time or slower than last year and I was starting to tire but I fought to stay with my pace. Then at mile 11 and 12 I started to feel as though I was running faster but I wasn't, I was catching a few of the ones who'd passed me at 9 miles. As I hit the final mile I got the urge to burst into a sprint but as I attempted it I felt a massive jolt of cramp shooting up my leg and I thought 'whoops, that was a mistake!' So back to my steady pace and on to the finish. The only thing I did wrong was accidentally set my Garmin off quite a bit before the start mat, so naturally it beeped at 13.1 miles before I got to the finish line just to confuse me even more but I'd only drifted slightly off my target pace throughout and it all started with that loooong hill climb.
Suffice to say, I've just got my chip time and I finished in 1:57:59 - a new pb almost 6 minutes quicker than last time!! It's encouraged me to believe I can become faster and has given me some idea of how I can train for future. :d

ps. Trinity, if you are reading this, I read your fantastic marathon report last week and how you stuck like glue to your target pace. Thanks for the inspiration:)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Fantastic report Rob,and a great time.

What`s next.

Don`t wait too long...........

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, peeps:)
thanks for your kind words. I've got a 10k pencilled-in for Bank Hol 5th May (13 days time), it's my first 10k since the last September. I'm just a bit unsure of how to approach my training for it. I'm planning to run again tomorrow as my legs feel ok now after a couple of days rest and was thinking of day on/day off training until the race doing 5m every second day and a longer run this weekend in between. I'm not sure if that's the right or wrong approach. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Well done Rob,

Enjoyed reading your race report - I've got my first half marathon on 4th May so I'll be trying to follow your example and not go chasing the loons who go out too fast.

BTW, how far did you run the week before the race? I'm doing my last long run this weekend and I'm not sure whether I should be taking it easy or pushing myself - or will it really make any difference at this stage?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, slowsteve.
Well, I was doing a 5 day training schedule over 12 weeks culminating in race day on the 12th Sunday. Weeks and 10 were 11 miles and 12 miles on Sunday. I asked exactly the same question here the week before my race. A few of the forum members suggested 10 miles as a good distance to run the week before. After that I just did 5 on Tues and Weds and then rested for 3 full days before the race. Other than that I just concentrated on sleeping well and had a massive plate of pasta on Friday night about 7pm, then pasta again on saturday evening early but not quite as much. and I drank LOADS of water for two days beforehand.
Good luck with your run too. I'll never forget my first race - with me forever:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts