Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

I am brand new to this running game and have been at it for a few weeks now looking to enter a half marathon in Nov then hopefully London next year.

I am finding the physical side of the running ok however the mental bit is killing me. Does anyone have any golden tips about how to metally get through the time?

I have tried building a house from the bottom up in my head (a trick used by the army when undergoing interrogation apprently) however this is ok once but not regulalry. Any ideas??

Looking forward to some interesting answer.

cheers

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Hi manxleigh, firstly I assume you're running outside and not on the treadmill? If you're on the treadmill, then that'd be the reason for your boredom, so get outside!

I have so many thoughts running through my head while I'm running I simply don't get bored - anything from remembering what bills etc need paying, to some kind of master plan to improve my career, to what I'm trying to achieve with this run, when my next run is, what my training goals are etc...

Sorry - I guess that's not much of an answer, but if you can't find anything to think of while you're running then I really envy what must be a fairly stress free life! heheh ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Maybe find a local running club and run with a group of people, or failing that listen to some music on an Ipod or similar device.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I started running, I found it too boring and nearly stopped.

But I decided to try listening to an audio book whilst running and found it helped - a few times I ran for longer because I was so caught up in the story.

Now, I'm hooked on running and I no longer need to listen to a book.

To think, I owe it all to Bram Stoker...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have loaded my ipod with some good tunes and used that to distract me in the gym but when i am out on the road i haven't needed to use it yet. The scenary and trying not to trip over a kerb/tree trunk has kept me occupied so far! :)

I think i people watch a lot and try not to think about anything too deep and meaningfull. Its nice to be out after work and switch off a little from a busy day.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I find it helps to run with someone. Me and my running partner never shut up :d we talk all the way. I often think that now I would find it hard to run solo. I've ran alone in the past and I gave up through boredom.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Manxleigh

Just before you start your run - try shouting abuse at a gang of local youths. You're guaranteed not to get bored :d

·
Registered
8 Posts
ManxLeigh

Only just started running so cant really offer much advise apart from the Ipod, however i am building an extension at home and if you can build a house brick by brick just in your head any advise would be appreciated.;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I take my dog running; never get bored.

Come here, leave that dog/goose/squirrel alone. Don't eat that goose crap!!! You're going the wrong way, come back.

She always wants to go in the opposite direction to me it's a constant battle of wills which she always wins:(

Alternatively, I put my ipod on.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
lol @ Zanshins signature, i know what you mean by your ready.

I look around at the lovely scenery or i sing to myself, i find if i wear an ipod i cant hear my breathing etc...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
lol slowsteve lets hope they are not armed ha ha.

Welcome to RF manxleigh.

I hope you do enter a race it will most definitely give you something to think about and a goal.

If I am finding it hard I tend to focus on something in the distance by the time I get there I will have either forgotten why I needed to do it or find a new point to focus on.

You have quite a selection now to try :d

Hope they all help TT.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
my team members laugh at me at races, because i say DID you see that horse or lovely house, they say LEECE your not trying hard enough, or i chat with the people i am running near or offer them sweets :p

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
zanshin said:
I take my dog running; never get bored.

Come here, leave that dog/goose/squirrel alone. Don't eat that goose crap!!! You're going the wrong way, come back.

She always wants to go in the opposite direction to me it's a constant battle of wills which she always wins:(

Alternatively, I put my ipod on.
I've done this, and ended up dragging the dog:) By the time I get home my bleedin arm hurts:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good answers

thankyou all so much - what I am quickly learning is that the running fraternity are a great bunch of people!!

Have been a bit too much treadmill bound so time to hit the roads - just wanted to get a base level before I encountered too many hills etc.

Bill Bailey sounds like a great idea I might see if I can download some..... oops erm I mean buy some from Amazon etc.

Anyone on here a member of a running club in or near Farnham?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you've been running on a treadmill, then I think you'll find that running outside will be a completely different experience. I loathe running on a treadmill and find it a huge mental effort just to keep going. Get me outdoors, though, and I love every minute of it and don't need anything to distract me beyond my surroundings :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts