Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've just registered on this site and would like to draw from the vast knowledge base within it's membership. I am a 47 year old male who used to run 10k's and half marathons. My first run was Bob Geldoffs "Run The World" 10k in Belfast many others followed with a few half marathons thrown in. I really enjoyed training and entering events. A triathalon saw me take up cycling which I enjoyed for ten years. I have within the last few years been diagnosed with an arthritic hip and have to take anti inflamatories & pain killers to suppress the pain. I still cycle leisurely and would dearly love to run again, my girlfriend is entering a half marathon in Glasgow this weekend (Sept.2nd'07) I would dearly love to train with her on the roads. My consultant has referred me as being too young for a hip replacement telling me to "keep taking the tablets" although he tells me my hip is definately going to have to be replaced (no ifs, buts or maybes).
I suppose my question is: have any of the athletes in this forum had a hip replacement and continued to train/compete or am I doomed to tablets and waiting until I'm a cripple? I would appreciate any feedback no matter how small. Best regards. Billy.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Not sure I can assist too much Billy but I can say 'er indoors was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis last year aged 43 and that after being diagnosed quickly....private consultation necessary but I won't go into my views on the NHS again on this site!!...and receiving medication and steroids she is now running, and racing, again.

If you can't run without pain then best not too and to take comfort in cycling with alongside your girlfriend. Does your consultant tell you not to run? Would physio help in any way?

Best of.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply Steve. I'm told the ball at the top of the femur is being starved of oxygenated blood and is crumbling away, visible on the x-ray. I've had physio, accupuncture etc... all provided by the NHS (eventually) but have now been told I need a hip replacement. To be honest I hadn't asked the consultant about running, the general advice from the NHS appears to be, don't do it. At present I have difficulty walking fast, for extended periods and have pain on inclines. Anybody else out there with any advice? health in your running Steve. Billy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts