Runners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've just registered on this site and would like to draw from the vast knowledge base within it's membership. I am a 47 year old male who used to run 10k's and half marathons. My first run was Bob Geldoffs "Run The World" 10k in Belfast many others followed with a few half marathons thrown in. I really enjoyed training and entering events. A triathalon saw me take up cycling which I enjoyed for ten years. I have within the last few years been diagnosed with an arthritic hip and have to take anti inflamatories & pain killers to suppress the pain. I still cycle leisurely and would dearly love to run again, my girlfriend is entering a half marathon in Glasgow this weekend (Sept.2nd'07) I would dearly love to train with her on the roads. My consultant has referred me as being too young for a hip replacement telling me to "keep taking the tablets" although he tells me my hip is definately going to have to be replaced (no ifs, buts or maybes).
I suppose my question is: have any of the athletes in this forum had a hip replacement and continued to train/compete or am I doomed to tablets and waiting until I'm a cripple? I would appreciate any feedback no matter how small. Best regards. Billy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply Steve. I'm told the ball at the top of the femur is being starved of oxygenated blood and is crumbling away, visible on the x-ray. I've had physio, accupuncture etc... all provided by the NHS (eventually) but have now been told I need a hip replacement. To be honest I hadn't asked the consultant about running, the general advice from the NHS appears to be, don't do it. At present I have difficulty walking fast, for extended periods and have pain on inclines. Anybody else out there with any advice? health in your running Steve. Billy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.