Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm already impressed by the expertise in this forum (ultra-marathons :eek: didn't even know that EXISTED!), and I'd like to ask if you think rest days are always necessary or you only take them if you feel the need.

I'm on holidays now (well, "tricky" holidays, :mad: having to make two take home exams), so I'm finding the time and motivation to run every day. Not much, I'm a total beginner :embarrassed: so I'm doing around 6 km in about 30 min*. On the days when I have a basketball practice I'm running to and from the sports hall (2.3 km in 10-11 minutes).

So.... shall I take rest days? For the moment I feel fine, I do feel stiffness but nothing that I can't bare.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!! :d

Lazy Jon

* I have to say in my favour that I run on the sand, sometimes exposed to totally extreme conditions (rain, wind :cool: ) and that my route includes one pedestrian cross on the way to the beach that stops me for around 15 secs ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'd recommend factoring in rest... you'll improve by allowing your body to strengthen which means damaging muscle fibres (through exercise) and allowing them to repair - the body will naturally adapt by repairing them stronger than they previously were. Without sufficient rest the muscles don't get a decent chance to repair and therefore you're limiting your improvements.

There's a fine line between an optimum training level and causing muscle fatigue - my concern would be that if you're playing basketball too, requiring explosive bursts of energy and power from the muscles, you're at a higher risk of straining/tearing something if you're muscles are constantly fatigued.

Of course, use your common sense as well, you don't always need total rest... but if you look at virtually all running training schedules, they include rest days and also an easier week of training every 4 weeks or so.

Hope that helps :d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
as a beginner i'd say yes be disciplined and factor in a rest.
at the moment you may not need it, if you start to ramp up the distances or efforts on some of your session you may well need it so start the good practice now.
remembering as richard says recovery is as important a part of training as the running itself.

experienced/pro runners may train every day but for sure at least one of these sessions will be recovery or active recovery. and that is a matter of experience, knowing you can run easy on a rest day and stil lrecover sufficiently not to overdo it.

(my training schedule has something every day of the week.... but thats cos i know ill be forced to miss at least one session through time/work)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot Richard! :)

Sure, it makes total sense and helps... I've checked training schedules, all of them including rest days, and my doubts came because

1) My running is not so demanding yet :embarrassed: . I'd understand that you can't run 30 km every day without a rest. But 6 km? I mean, if my efforts are moderate, it could mean that I don't need 48 hours' rests, and that 24 hours could be enough...? :huh:

2) I thought the rest days maybe were due to the need to perform well at a particular day (like a race).

I guess I will follow my body's signs... which are very positive for the moment, and rest if I feel the fatigue is accumulating. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ed_m too! Well, I'll have to think of planning rest days then... but, yes, probably getting back to work :( will make it much easier to "rest" a couple of days every week.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Definately factor in rest days - you'll let your body recover and be able to train consistenly for a longer period, as opposed to training every day for a few weeks and having to rest due to over-training.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
you need to have a day off even if you don't think you need it...

what i do is have a day off then run twice as far the next day (5 miles instead of 3)...

so that way i have one distance run each week...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Revenged! My lazy-inner-self is delighted to have compulsory days off :d
I like your avatar, by the way!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Running streaks (such as those who've been running everyday for 39 years), often come about because as people improve, a rest day doesn't need to mean a day without running, it could just mean a day with a very short and/or gentle jog. Normally whne you're starting out and still building up your mileage then a rest day will mean no run.

The thing that I'd be wary of with a running streak is the desire to keep it going and the temptation to carry on training even when the body needs a day off... I bet those who've ran everyday for teh past 39 years would try and hobble half a mile with a broken leg rather than ruin their 'streak'... :asleep: not the wisest of moves I feel!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They'd have to hobble an entire mile, as this is their established minimum ;) . I read a story about someone having to get out of their sleeping bag and camping tent in the middle of the night because he had forgotten his running session, and having to run his mile in total darkness :eek: .

It seems totally crazy to me... is there anyone on a running streak in the forum?

And any streaker? :d

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
steepler said:
My easy days are just a 20 minute jog to keep the 'streak' alive. Nearly two years now.
Wow, I'm impressed. Did you start it consciously? Or one day you just realized you could and needed to run everyday?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I started to give my self a reason to go out and do something every day.
A friend in the USA has run every day since 27th December 1999! I joked I could do that. The days after marathons are bloody hard mind you!
Check out runeveryday.com for other mad keen people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, this running world I'm just starting to discover is far more fascinating that I had imagined when looking at these crazy guys in trainers, shorts and funny-coloured gear always in a rush ;)

The only bad thing I see about the streak is, and believe me I don't wanna be a jinx :confused: , is the frustration one might have to bear in case it is REALLY impossible to run one day!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
There was another guy (Fulmar) on this forum who I think was on a streak, though he's not been around lately - I think he's one of those people who's always darting off to various cool places across the globe :d

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
The trouble with streaks is once you get past the first year you really can't give it up!
There have been days when i could have done with not running, but you do anyway!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My point exactly :p I think it depends what your real goals are though - if you want to improve your times as much as possible then I'd imagine that would become the overriding factor, and assuming it meant enough to you, you'd be willing to break your streak.

If your streak is what is more important to you, then that's fine - and running when you'd prefer not to is part of the challenge! Of course a streak will help you improve massively, but perhaps not reach your full potential. I wonder if elite athletes have many/any days of complete rest?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts