Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my fourth week of running and go running every other day. Sometimes I really want to go for a run but don't because of my rest day...I just wonder, am I asking for trouble if I cut down on rest days at this early stage? General consensus seems to be be that you end up over exerting yourself in someway that's almost guaranteed to do injury and I don't want that. I run and walk still at the moment, covering a distance each day of about 2.5-3 miles..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Runda

If you run on the days you want to run and rest on the days you don't, you will probably end up running 3-4 times per week anyway :p There's no problem with running on 2 consecutive days that I know of, just listen to your body, stretch thoroughly and try not to increase your overall weekly mileage by too much at once.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wicked!thanks Katten! I thought two consecutive days was a no no. You know what it's like when you're just itching to get out?? I'm very slow on the progress side so I doubt there is much chance of me running too far...certainly not running too fast!! I have snails overtaking me every time I go out!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Slow and steady > fast and achey :cool:

I've just run on two consecutive days myself, and my legs barely fell off at all, so it can't be that bad :p

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Last non-running day was the 28th of December 2003.
But you can run and rest. It's all a matter of how far and how hard.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I would rather do 20 minutes than nothing.
Running is my mental release.
Rest days are overated. If you are training hard you can stiffen up if you have days off.
Mind you the day after a marathon is bloody hard work!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
"REST" is the most over-used word and badly employed training tool in the world of running today. Possibly, no, probably the root cause of the decline in general running standards in this country. People have become too fond of comfort and convenience...in short; too soft.

I know of at least one person who hasn't missed a day's running since December 1964! And for the first 26.2 of those years, he ran at least 13 times a week.
When I was younger, I went for over 14 and a half years without missing a single day; with many of those days having two runs in them. I'm aware that there are several more runners around who have longer unbroken stints, too.

Running is about making your body believe that it is more natural to be active than to be at rest. Progress is gained as the body becomes "immune" to the increasing amounts of physical stress that we put on it. :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I started running every day because I was losing motivation and it was too easy to find excuses not to go out.
So I told myself I would run 100 days in a row.
When I got there I realised how much I had benefitted from this and just kept going.
May I stay healthy and not stuck in airports and I don't intend to stop :d

A rest day, for me, will be an easy run of 5K-10K. But really easy!
Running without a day's break has taught me to be more careful and to understand when I have to slow down.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Fulmar said:
I told myself I would run 100 days in a row. When I got there I realised how much I had benefited from this and just kept going.
I can identify with that. I blame my current lack of form on far too many rest days. My best results came when I was running virtually every day. I'm getting far too nesh in my dotage!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Fulmar said:
I started running every day because I was losing motivation and it was too easy to find excuses not to go out.
So I told myself I would run 100 days in a row.
When I got there I realised how much I had benefitted from this and just kept going.
That's great, Fulmar. I'm thinking of trying something along those lines again myself, once I get back from a current injury. ;)
I really can't understand why so many people appear to be so frightened to run on even two consecutive days. :huh: Where is the information coming from that gives runners such a tentative and almost timid approach? :eek:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Just completed 4 years of running every day :)
Above all it's a great feeling when looking back at all the days when, due to mood, tiredness, long days, I would have chosen not to run - but almost always I felt better when getting back home...

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It's fine to run on two consecutive days. I always do 2 long runs on a weekend, usually 10 miles on a saturday and 8 or 9 miles on a sunday. I tend to do a couple of shorter runs during the week, and the odd day off, but that's mainly a time issue. I work full time so can't always get out. I don't agree that taking rest days is simply lazy and the reason for declining standards. Not everybody here wants to compete or constantly break PBs. Many of us run because it is enjoyable and we want to stay fit and healthy, with the odd personal record breaking now and then. for us, its nice to have a couple of days off. I personally run a lot faster after a short break. I don't want to run every day, and constantly increase the mileage, because I'd like to stay injury free and, frankly, I work long hours and also want a half decent social life.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Now that I'm running almost every other day, I'm loving it and really beginning to feel the benefit from the increase. I can't realistically see myself running more than I currently do, mainly down to time constraints, kids, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts