Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heylo... I was just looking at my training schedule thingy I've got... and it looks as though next week is set out as a whole week of easy runs of 5 miles. I don't feel like I need a whole week of rest though... so should I accept the wisdom of whoever made this plan, and just do the easy runs, or would I be OK to just carry on with what I've been doing this week. The week after the miles ramp up a bit, if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I know the sort of schedule you mean, I think the theory (supposedly tested) is that the best gains come from having 3-4 weeks of intense training followed by a week of easy runs to allow the body to build/adapt/strengthen.

There's supposedly some science behind it, but ultimately it's up to you whether you feel you'd be better off pushing harder during that week. I mean after all, these studies will only ever show the average result for a number of participants in the study, doesn;t mean it works the same for everyone!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I suppose seeing as this is my first time following any training schedule at all I might as well go along with it. Plus next week is going to be a tad bit more busy than usual, so I guess I could benefit in other ways by reigning in just for a week.

Anyway... never doubt science.

Or atleast that's what we like the public think ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have heard the same as Richard, but bear in mind there will be weeks where you are supposed to work hard but you just might not feel like it, so you could treat yourself to an easy week then, a case of see how you feel.

Your body will soon tell you, as long as you see the signs.

TT

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Easy weeks are essential so as to allow your body to recover from any niggles. I 'd follow the schedule if I were you.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I follwed a training plan for a half marathon last year and made the mistake of running the first easy week just as hard as the first three weeks. Needless to say, I was shattered by the end of the next week.

I learned my lesson and when I followed another training plan for a full marathon and took full adavantage of the easy weeks. Having a rest week built in helped me avoid over training and I felt more up for it the next week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Take the recovery week.

I doubted their use but found after nailing 4-5 weeks of hard training without one I was picking up injuries which put me out for a while. Switching to 3/4 weeks of hard training together with an easier week helps me drastically. Honestly my mileage can quite regularly go 60,60,60 then 25-30 or less!

If you honestly don't feel like you're doing enough then adding RELAXED strides after each run or alternatively a set of drills is a useful thing if you're used to them and lets you think about the week as a speed/basic running skills development week instead of a "rest" week.

Amazes me sometimes how runners are capable of shoving their bodies through 90-100 mile weeks but never think about something as basic as how their foot makes contact with the ground, drives off, the position and strength of their legs etc. Quite worrying really!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surprises me also - but at this point I think I was only doing 20 or so miles a week anyway! I'm only training for a half! In the end I did the easy week but still did my long run...

Missed out my last easy week though - when I used the smart coach thingy I chose the level I wanted to train at as "hard" and I may have experienced a LIL bit of muscle fatigue (it totally went away after my last run...) last week, but other than that I don't feel like this training plan has been "hard". To start off the tempo runs over 6 miles were quite hard, but now I'm doing like 8 or so miles and it's alright. Might get a different plan for the next half which is exactly 8 weeks after this one coming up. Suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts