Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, in search of more advice... Have been running for about 8/9 months, 5 miles on a Saturday, 5 miles on a Sunday, rest Monday, 2 miles every other day during the week. I have found during the week I'm very tired after work and have been missing jogging during the week.
So instead of regular running, I'm running about 3 times (when i can) but longer.....Instead of 5 miles I'm running about 8/9 miles twice or three times a week.
To be honest I'm finding running longer easier than running shorter more often..is there any particular reason....Is it because im running further but having longer rest periods....
Also what is the required rest time in between longer runs...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Are you adjusting your pace to make the longer runs more comfortable? Sometimes I feel as though I can keep going forever on long runs if I've purposefully set out at a comfortable pace...

I run 5 or 6 times a week, often after work. It probably helps that I sit at a desk all day so, by the time I get home, I'm itching to get out there!

How varied are your runs? Do you do any interval training or anything like that to break things up? Make sure you're not always running all out - although I run often I make sure I get one or two recovery sessions in during a week.

My responses tend to jump around a little; I'm not the best at giving cohesive advice :) Am sure others will have some useful input for you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel personally the more rest i have between runs the better results i have when im out there. Today for example, went out and run for about 7/8 miles. Im finding i could very easy go a lot further and at a better pace. However if i go more regular i find it more tiring and i jog less distance at a slower pace.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Each person is different.

Some weeks I can go six days straight others I need a rest in between runs.

You have to listen to your own body and work out what is best for you.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I feel personally the more rest i have between runs the better results i have when im out there. Today for example, went out and run for about 7/8 miles. Im finding i could very easy go a lot further and at a better pace. However if i go more regular i find it more tiring and i jog less distance at a slower pace.
This is all pretty natural. It all depends what you want out of your running, I suppose! Long runs are important for improving general endurance, but speed work equally so if you wan to up your average miles times or work towards a better time in an event.

I'm following a pretty standard programme at the moment that offers a nice mix of paces and distances. Just make sure that you're happy with the amount of running that you're doing, listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard. If you're working towards any patricular goals, look for a programme of some kind to follow (I find this particularly helpful).

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my goal is just general fitness, that's about it really. If i jog after work i can barely muster 2/3 miles and i feel knackered....
i feel if i run for about 8/9 miles i cant be that unfit...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
my goal is just general fitness, that's about it really. If i jog after work i can barely muster 2/3 miles and i feel knackered....
i feel if i run for about 8/9 miles i cant be that unfit...
Could it be something to do with the structure of your day? If you're more dehydrated (or less hydrated? :confused:) after work, or if it's been a while since you ate by the time you get home, your energy levels could suffer as a result. Just a thought.

In terms of general fitness, you're doing just fine if you can get 8 or 9 miles under your belt during a session :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could it be something to do with the structure of your day? If you're more dehydrated (or less hydrated? :confused:) after work, or if it's been a while since you ate by the time you get home, your energy levels could suffer as a result. Just a thought.

In terms of general fitness, you're doing just fine if you can get 8 or 9 miles under your belt during a session :)

very interesting point, dehydrated no as im drinking water all day....eating could could be, i only have something to eat mid morning then that's it as i dont want to eat just before i go for a run. Whats the time span in eating and then out for a run. I always thought it was at least an hour.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
very interesting point, dehydrated no as im drinking water all day....eating could could be, i only have something to eat mid morning then that's it as i dont want to eat just before i go for a run. Whats the time span in eating and then out for a run. I always thought it was at least an hour.
There've been threads on this question I think. It really has to vary from one person to the next... I'm fine to rune 7 or 8 miles at 6pm having not eaten since 1ish. Doesn't hurt to have something like a banana an hour before a run. It's good that you're constantly hydrated; I think people sometimes underestimate the importance of this.

If you're running a substantial amount just make sure you're stocked up on carbs, otherwise your glycogen stores won't have chance to replenish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts