Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my resting heart rate done last night at the gym by one of the trainers he said it was 63 and my bp was 60 over 100..he said this was quite low!! is he right and if so what does this mean?:huh:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you mean your BP was 100 over 60......If it's 60 over 100 you've got serious problems :eek:

The BP is a little low, but nothing to really worry about, It can vary due to age, stress, illness etc. I seem to remember reading that it's been proven that people with slightly low BP have a reduced risk of getting heart disease which is pretty good.

The resting heart rate sounds about right for someone in good health.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Steve said:
How low was Lance Armstrong's resting heart rate? Something ridiculous I seem to recall.
I was speaking to someone recently about this and I seem to recall Lance Armstrongs resting HR was about 30bpm and he had a maximum of about 200bpm :eek:
He also has a pretty huge lung capacity, larger than normal lungs and an enlarged heart!!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
is it literally the lowest you see your HR go at anytime? I was checking for my resting HR once and got it down to 44bpm, but that was resting to the point where I was falling asleep! It seems if I just sit in a chair and watch my HR I can't go below 50bpm, annoyingly I seem to get excited when I see it dropping and change my breathing which brings it back up again! lol.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
is it literally the lowest you see your HR go at anytime? ... annoyingly I seem to get excited when I see it dropping and change my breathing which brings it back up again! lol.
Conventionally, resting heart rate is taken on waking in the morning (provided you haven't been shocked out of slumber by a 100 decibel alarm going off next to your ear!).
Also, the rate should be taken for a full minute (ie. by counting the beats for a full 60 seconds rather than just taking a "snapshot" given by a monitor).

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
pedestrian said:
Conventionally, resting heart rate is taken on waking in the morning
Seems a little strange they'd call it 'resting' HR then :huh: I was always under the impression it was as relaxed as you could be (typically in the morning), I'd dread to think what mine would be on a morning walk :(

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
annoyingly I seem to get excited when I see it dropping and change my breathing which brings it back up again! lol.
I have the same problem! I go: "Wow, it's low, great, great!!!!!" and then it shoots up from 50bpm to around 60bpm :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My resting heart rate (first thing in morning or before bed) is usually around 55. Lowest I've measured was 52. I'd say for a man, anything under 60 shows above average fitness. the normal range for men is 60-75, for women 70-85 I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The average person is between 60-80. Anything below 55 is good. If you are dehydrated or have been overtraining your resting heart rate will be higher than normal in the mornings

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Mine is 60-65

1 - 20 of 20 Posts