Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick background

Started running in June for HM in September, which I manfully completed! I picked up a niggling thigh injury sometime in August. This didn't really effect my performance, however, after some physio decided to take some time off (approx 1 month) to allow it to clear up completely ( i was concerned it might start to affect my knee) I think I am now ready to go back to training (after shaking off a rather pesky cough)

Advice needed

I want to establish a base of 25/30 mpw, should I build slowly towards this or will my body (assumming injury healed) be able to cope with going back to my pre injury mileage quite quickly

flakey

·
Registered
69 Posts
You only started running in June and you had done a half marathon by september? wow! Im in awe! ;) But that could also be the reason for your injury. too much too quick!
I'd imagine that the best thing to do would be to slowly build up your mileage slowly over the next couple of months.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Must agree with bone idle here.

Short distances to start with...picking up speed and hill endurance as you go and then do some slow longer runs.
Give yourself a 10 mile race target in December.
I've found it takes me ages to get back to fitness if I have time off...might be an age thing though!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reasonably fit before I started training in earnest for the HM, but not running fit. My problem (i think) was my injury did not really slow me down, so I kept running when perhaps I should have dropped my mileage. It all happened too close to the event for me to be rational!!

flakey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts