Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of my training plan?

Day 1 - Distance run (5 miles)
Day 2 - Regular run (3.5 miles)
Day 3 - Speedwork (Fartlek)
Day 4 - Distance run (5 miles)
Day 5 - Regular run (3.5 miles)
Day 6 - Speedwork (Tempo)
Day 7 - Rest

This is week 4 of the plan...

I added in another distance run this week but i still want a bit of a change...

Any ideas on else to include?

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
How are you finding this kind of workload at the moment? I only ask as I reckon you could be pushing your long run a bit further to help improve your endurance, but perhaps reducing your second distance run to a regular run to help keep some kind of balance...

If you find you're struggling or fancy something different, you could always change a regular run to a swim or bike?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm entering 5k race end of this month so i don't really want to make my distance run any longer...

but i'll take the advice on using a bike once a week instead of a run - i didn't think of that...

maybe try some hill training (i read that on this forum - could replace a speedwork - maybe tempo run as i don't think tempo runs does much for me)...

but now i'm having a rest for a couple of days... i went running today and i couldnt breathe properly... was wheezing like an asthmatic and could barely run...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you're coming down with something. I've had an almost cold for about 2 weeks now, and although it's not so bad it's stopped me from running, my speed workouts have become a tad more difficult - I feel like my lung capacity has dropped a bit from a bit of congestion seeing as before I started feeling a bit ill they were becoming a lot easier!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Revenged said:
i'm entering 5k race end of this month so i don't really want to make my distance run any longer...
That makes sense, so no probs there then :)

Revenged said:
maybe try some hill training (i read that on this forum - could replace a speedwork - maybe tempo run as i don't think tempo runs does much for me)...

but now i'm having a rest for a couple of days... i went running today and i couldnt breathe properly... was wheezing like an asthmatic and could barely run...
Hill training is probably the best training for improving leg strength (in my opinion at least!), though all speed/strength workouts have their advantages. Speedwork gets your legs used to turning over at a quicker rate which should in turn speed up you running, Tempo runs get your body used to sustaining a strong pace for longer periods of time. Bets thing to do is for you to indentify where you're weakest, and make sure you don't cut that workout out! lol.

Can't go far wrong resting if you suspect something may be up! Sounds like you've got your training pretty well under control :cool:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Revenged said:
What do you guys think of my training plan?

Day 1 - Distance run (5 miles)
Day 2 - Regular run (3.5 miles)
Day 3 - Speedwork (Fartlek)
Day 4 - Distance run (5 miles)
Day 5 - Regular run (3.5 miles)
Day 6 - Speedwork (Tempo)
Day 7 - Rest

This is week 4 of the plan...

I added in another distance run this week but i still want a bit of a change...

Any ideas on else to include?

Thanks
Hmm... As your "distance run" is only 1.5 miles longer than your "regular" run; maybe you could try lengthening one of the distance runs (to maybe 6.5 miles?), and replacing the other with a regular run, thereby maintaining the overall distance... Then in a couple of weeks, increase one of the regular runs to a 5 miler?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, i'll bear that in mind for later but i don't think i'll increase my milage right now... i've had to stop running because of an ankle injury and i'm going to stick with cycling for the next few days to be safe...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cycled + did 5 miles yesterday and 8 miles today on flat surface and my ankle has been fine - swelling has gone down...

i'm planning to go gym tomorrow to cycle and use x-trainer - but is it ok to use the rower with a bad ankle?

and how 'good' does my ankle need to be if i'm to run on it again?

soz for the questions - i know you can't give me definitive answers but i'm still fairly new to all this and have never been injured before...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Useless people :p... You'll probably all too busy training for the london marathon :)... but I'm fine after a 3 days break from running...

I have just taken your advice pedestrian and increased my distance run to 7.5 miles and increased one of my regular run to 5 miles... So thanks again...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my 5k time was 20.00 exactly...

PB and the course was hilly as well...

HA!

cheers for keeping me motivated guys... :d

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have the monthly 5k again this friday...

I want to break my PB again but don't know what time to aim for - maybe 19:40 ?

What do you guys - is it achievable?

Btw, what do you think about my current training plan and how it has changed?

(It has changed a bit from how it was before. now I normally do 1 long run (7miles), 4 regular runs (5miles), 1 speedwork (tempo or farklet) and 1 rest day.)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Is this Friday's 5k on the same course? or a less undulating one?

19:40 is quite an achieveable target based on your last time, though in reality 20 seconds could be made up or lost just on something as simple as what/when your breakfast was, or when you last took a dump! ... Sorry, I guess that could quite easily be mis-interpreted... what I mean is that if if you ran as hard as you physically could for two 5k's on teh same course, if everything comes together for you in terms of weather and how you feel etc, you'll smash whatever time you'd manage if you had a bad day - regardless of what your percieved effort level is!

Aim for 19mins, don't expect to manage it, but just get as close as you can ;¬) perhaps pace yourself for 19:30 and pick up the pace if you feel able?

I've been reading into training for shorter distances a LOT while i've been off, and have decided myself to concentrate on shorter distances... the general thing I've picked up (and it sounds pretty basic) is that to get a good 10km time, you need a goo 5km time, for a good 5km time, you need a good 3k, and you can;t have a good 3k time without a decent 1500m time!

Once I'm back up to fitness, I'll increase the amount of speed work I do to include more training at 3k, 5k, and 10k pace. If 5km is your goal distance I'd perhaps swap 1 or 2 of your 5mi runs for a 'quality' session, be that short fast repetitions, tempo, fartlek or some hill running.

as always... Just my thoughts ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to butt in...

would you describe the program in the OP as quite an advanced runners workload?

also...with the fartlek training, do you guys have set distances/time for the sprints etc or do you just play it by ear?

Sorry for the newbie questions :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
richardsimkiss said:
Is this Friday's 5k on the same course? or a less undulating one?

19:40 is quite an achieveable target based on your last time, though in reality 20 seconds could be made up or lost just on something as simple as what/when your breakfast was, or when you last took a dump! ... Sorry, I guess that could quite easily be mis-interpreted... what I mean is that if if you ran as hard as you physically could for two 5k's on teh same course, if everything comes together for you in terms of weather and how you feel etc, you'll smash whatever time you'd manage if you had a bad day - regardless of what your percieved effort level is!

Aim for 19mins, don't expect to manage it, but just get as close as you can ;¬) perhaps pace yourself for 19:30 and pick up the pace if you feel able?

I've been reading into training for shorter distances a LOT while i've been off, and have decided myself to concentrate on shorter distances... the general thing I've picked up (and it sounds pretty basic) is that to get a good 10km time, you need a goo 5km time, for a good 5km time, you need a good 3k, and you can;t have a good 3k time without a decent 1500m time!

Once I'm back up to fitness, I'll increase the amount of speed work I do to include more training at 3k, 5k, and 10k pace. If 5km is your goal distance I'd perhaps swap 1 or 2 of your 5mi runs for a 'quality' session, be that short fast repetitions, tempo, fartlek or some hill running.

as always... Just my thoughts ;)
it is the same course as last time...

i'll try a 5k tempo run tomorrow to see how i'll do...

thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Scarbib_jack... fartlek means 'speed-play' and I treat just as that... the distances etc can be as short/long as you like within reason... typical distances for me include 'the 3rd lamppost from now', 'that bush near the top of the hill', and 'up to the next corner'... it really is that simple :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
richard., i've stopped doing loads of speework as been trying to increase milage to improve endurance...

now i've done that i'm trying to keep the same milage but do it faster...

seems to be working so i wont change it for now but will reconsider doing another speedwork session again when my regular runs stop getting faster...

i'm also going on holiday soon so having a break from running anywayz...

but thanks again and hope you get back into running alright !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts