Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any more takers? They also offer a half marathon, a 10k run, a 3k fun run and a toddlers run. And the big annual "Menngarnótt" (cultural festival) will be held the same day. I have done it several times, great atmosphere and the course is good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
One of my dream events, Im looking at the Ultra race in Iceland aswell!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I would love to visit Iceland - and run there!

I hear they make you pronounce Eyjafjallajökull before they allow you to enter the country though :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hear they make you pronounce Eyjafjallajökull before they allow you to enter the country though :p
:d:d:d easy peasy

·
Registered
993 Posts
:d:d:d easy peasy
Nah, I just listened to someone pronounce it on Wikipedia. It didn't sound anything like "easy peasy" ;)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nah, I just listened to someone pronounce it on Wikipedia. It didn't sound anything like "easy peasy" ;)
ok, now i have to check it! Sorry, work, have better things to do :d

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's easy! I am not Icelandic 9I'm German) but I can speak Icelandic and it is easy-peasy for me! I did that Laugavegur Ultra (finish line is six miles short of the Eyjafjallajökull) three months after its eruption in 2010, so I knew that blasted thing! Divide the name into its segments. in English the name means "Island mountain glacier".

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's easy! I am not Icelandic 9I'm German) but I can speak Icelandic and it is easy-peasy for me! I did that Laugavegur Ultra (finish line is six miles short of the Eyjafjallajökull) three months after its eruption in 2010, so I knew that blasted thing! Divide the name into its segments. in English the name means "Island mountain glacier".
I speak German too, which is why probably I could copy the name. Have listened to it. I'm on the fifth time I would pronounce it right :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Just had a look at the website and now I really want to do the Laugavegur Ultra! :happy:
Zoe?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Just had a look at the website and now I really want to do the Laugavegur Ultra! :happy:
Zoe?
I take it you mean next year? In that case, I would love to. But I am not fit enough at the moment to run 55k three weeks from now, plus it's the week before we go to Barcelona x

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I take it you mean next year? In that case, I would love to. But I am not fit enough at the moment to run 55k three weeks from now, plus it's the week before we go to Barcelona x
Definitely next year!

·
Registered
993 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Fulmar: I know how it got its name because I speak Icelandic. And all their place names are easy to understand if you know the language. Reykjavík means "Smoky Bay".

if you want to sign up for Laugarvegur, it is too late now anyway. Registration starts at the beginning of January and it is booked out within two or three days. I was in Iceland when registration opened in 2010 and whilst I went to the marathon headquarters personally first thing in the morning on the first day you could register they told me that I could only register online and registration only started in the afternoon. Two days later the race was full. If you want to know anything else about Iceland, give me a shout. The cheapest guesthouse is the Egilsborg on Þverholt. Oh, and the international airport is in Keflavik, not in Reykjavík, so you will also have to take the coach into town or hire a car.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
@Fulmar: I know how it got its name because I speak Icelandic. And all their place names are easy to understand if you know the language. Reykjavík means "Smoky Bay".
It was an attempt at humour :rolleyes:

Thank you for the tips and for offering your help. :tup:

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
That looks awesome!

I've only been to Iceland once and even then it was because my flight was cancelled from Seattle so I jumped a flight to Iceland and then I got stuck in the airport for half a day. Looks nice on the way in and out though :)

Never found out what the giant egg outside the airport was, seems there was a dinosaur hatching?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts