Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll be doing my first mara in Reykjavik on August 23. A small marathon, from all I've heard and a bit of a lonely run for those doing the whole 26.

Any experiences? Anyone else gonna be there?

:A)>

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Welcome to RF Andrew.

Never been to Iceland but quite like the idea of this marathon sometime.
I assume you are running it. (Of course you are...you say so in your post!!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve,

Thanks. I've been lurking for a while and it seems like a nice bunch here.

Yes, I'll be running Reykjavik marathon. First marathon, actually. It'll be a couple of firsts this month...

This Saturday I'm running in the "High Coast Marathon", though only the half mara. Still, it's my first half-mara distance in a race. The 20-something km fits into my training schedule for Reykjavik. I plan to take it easy, but it's very hilly! (hkmarathon.nu, see 'banprofil')

Then next Saturday it's the Midnight Race in downtown Stockholm. 20000 runners, start time of 22:30 or something like that. It's a fun race, which I've done before. It's 10k, which also fits into my training schedule. How convenient!

Then it's the marathon, and what to do with my post-marathon depression. Is there such a thing?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Sounds like a good schedule to me..and fun too.

Not sure what I'd do waiting for a 22:30 start time....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Andrew,

I´ll also be doing my first marathon in Reykjavik in a few weeks, the other halfs icelandic so travel there a lot.

Have done the 10k a couple of times, the whole event´s a big deal over there so you get a lot of support along the way and its very professionally run.

The course is quite flat around the city with a nice stretch along the bay, the weather´s been quite nice the times i´ve done the 10k so fingers crossed anyway.

The night afterwards is the reykjavik culture night with music and fireworks etc, then pretty much everyone gets shitfaced - hopefully I´ll be up for a party and not dying in bed with exhaustion!

Target is sub 4 hours :)

Maybe see you there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Davie,

I've never been outside Keflavik airport, so it's all pretty exciting, And the culture night -- I was thinking exactly the same thing -- what if I'm just passed out in my hotel room and never make it out on the town?!?

Quite nervous about the first marathon. When I ran 18 miles a few weeks ago I was completely exhausted afterward (it was quite warm that day). I ran a loop from/to home and I was lying on the kitchen floor (yep, the kitchen) thinking "How am I going to make it after the race in Reykjavik if the finish line isn't in my front yard?" :notrust:

Ran 20 miles last weekend, planning to get picked up at the end. Was a bit nervous about what shape I'd be in at the end, but I actually managed to have a nice civilized lunch with my wife (who was so kind to drive and pick me up) before we took off home again. Anything can happen I suppose. :cool:

I'll be runner no. 334. I've read that the marathon field isn't very big, so yeah, maybe we'll bump in to each other. Would be pleased to death to go sub 4:00. My training area is very, very hilly, so I have no idea what pace to take on a flat course. All shall be told!

*** Best of luck!! ***

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds very similar to my training, thought i was going to throw up after my first 20 mile run. The second wasn´t as bad though, plan on doing 18-20 this weekend then tail off next week.

I´m no. 275, will keep an eye out for you.

All the best

Davie

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds a great race! Iceland is on our tour - next year or the year after. We'll have to see if we can coincide it with this race!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two weeks to go now...

I ran a half mara race today and managed 1:57:12, with splits of something like 1:02 first half, 0:55 second half. I was pretty pleased with that, as I'd never run that distance in training in less than 2 hrs.

Negative splits was the plan, and it turned out well. My opening felt soooo slow though. You can see my race data on www.dotdot.nu/drew.htm, where my nike+ had me running a total distance of 20.2km and not 21. Looks like it's time to re-calibrate the nike+ -- but this also means all my training runs have been longer than I thought. BONUS!

Since this race is so d*mn hilly, the after-race talk was that you could pretty much chop 5 minutes off your finish time for a comparable flat-land race. Höga Kusten Marathon - Banprofil

Still have no idea how to approach my pacing for a flat Reykjavik marathon. Will have to think about this!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
One week to go...

Only a week to go before Reykjavik...

The training regime is cooling off with shorter distances. I ran a 10k race in Stockholm as my "long run" last week and set a personal best of 50:28. Would have loved to go sub-50, but it really wasn't on the cards. Very congested racecourse. (Heh, and my Nike+ had me down for 9.28k, not 10k.)

Feel like it would be nice to run on the shoulder of someone with some marathon experience and a similar goal of 04:00:00. Still pretty worried about pacing myself correctly.

Oh well. Just gotta show up and put one foot in front of the other.

Repeatedly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hows the training gone Andrew, you in good shape for Saturday?

Wanting to get started myself, been trying to keep ticking over which though is a bit of a struggle having trained so much.

Here's hoping for some decent weather, is forecasted for rain but hopefully no wind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm about to burst with excitement. Race's tomorrow!!

Yeah, just hoping for not too much wind. Haven't run in cold sine the spring, so I hope I don't cramp up!

Best of luck, davie. Thanks for the wishes, Hrun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Oh I look EVERY BIT the marathoner, erm, right up until the starting gun.

Tee, hee!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Had a 'bad running day' in Reykjavik. I think due to the gusty winds and 13C, my legs tightened up. At that point, despite having plenty of 'go' left at 20k, my knees were getting very painful. By 26k, no amount of stretching could get me back into a running pace. I did, however manage the last 16k at a brisk march, despite that the winds picked up when the heavy rains began.

I met davie on the course, who was good company for a couple of K. He left me behind and I hope HE, at least, managed a good time. I finished in 05:03, which I guess reflects my little 'ordeal'.

The whole day was so BAD, that I can actually *already* look back and laugh. The 16k of walking was bitter, though. I met another man walking who was a 16 marathon veteran, who went through the same thing as me today. He wasn't very good company, perhaps understandably.

So, there will have to be a next time, I think. Reykjavik didn't go at all to plan, and I can't just give up now after the miles and miles of training.

Thanks to all you well-wishers out there!

:A(>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reykjavik is nice, but feels quite small in a way. The marathon coincides with 'culture night', so the hotels are pretty booked up.

Culture night was good fun, with nice fireworks to top off the 'official' festivities. I was too tired to enjoy the city-wide post-party. Though it was 1 in the morning Sthlm time, so it isn't so strange that I'm bushed, maybe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts