Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is a runner (with a number of 1/2s and full marathons behind her) but has recently been told she has rheumatoid arthritis. Whilst it was quite severe for a few weeks medication appears to have brought things back to an even keel. She hasn't though returned to running yet for fear of reigniting the symptoms. Has anyone suffered a similar experience and can give advice?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update..... Good news...

SWMBO was told last week by her consultant that she is now in remission! We don't know how long this will last but fingers crossed!

SWMBO has been running without any pain (save for the usual runners' pains of course!) for a few weeks, is back to doing 8 milers and is running her first race since last April next weekend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Good news, Steve. Are you running with her, or are you cheering on from the sidelines?
(me too, I don't know the acronym SWMBO?)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nellie said:
Great news Steve...I hope you don't mind me asking, and i'm probably being stupid but what does SWMBO stand for?!!

She Who Must Be Obeyed................................I`ve got one too...............:)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nellie/Karen,

To add to Dave's explanation the SWMBO phrase comes from Rumpole of the Bailey....Rumpole used the phrase all the time about his good lady. When first considering what to call SWMBO on this site it was a toss up between SWMBO and " 'er indoors "!

SWMBO is doing training runs by herself and with me. The race, a team cross country event, next Sunday, she'll be running by herself as I'm running it too. I'll be there at the end though...or part way back down the course... cheering her home.

She did her 5m route 1 min quicker yesterday than she has before since returning to running though she's still 5mins off her best pre-RA time.

I'll let you all know how she got on next week.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Steve,

Nothing to do with running but my Mum suffers very badly with rheumatoid arthritis. I was under the impression that once you had it ...... you had it.!

What form of medication was 'er indoors on ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear that Granty,

'Er indoors is on Methotrexate. Like other medication is doesn't work for everyone and can have side effects...if you go onto RA websites you'll read all sorts of awful stories about it and other medication.

The consultant SWMBO saw gave her a steroid injection at the first consutation and then prescribed methotrexate and folic acid to help counte some potential side effects.

The consultant said that for most people RA is permanent but some can have remission periods....as SWMBO is in now. How long these last though is impossible to say. Could be days, weeks... There is a small percentage of people who ,for some reason, are lucky enough for RA not to return. Obviously we hope that applies in our case. It may be that SWMBO is recovering because she sought private treatment at an early stage and didn't leave it to the nhs. ( See nhs rants previously posted!!)

Perhaps your Mum could ask to ty metho...you never know.
Wish her well for me.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Interesting stuff, I'll print this thread out and let her read it, I think she might have a word with her Doctor.

Hope your good lady continues to improve.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Granty,
SWMBO also registered with Arthritis Care and went to a pain management course for 5/6 weeks...no costs involved. They provided general help in terms of talking through pain and depression so your Mum could see what's available close to her.

I'm doing FLM for Arthritis Care and have set up a website for sponsorship .... www.justgiving.com/srr

The aim is to eventually ( not necessarily through the FLM only) to raise enough funds to pay for a pain management course for others...costs £3k.

So do I, I think!!! She seems to have more SWMBO tendencies than before she had RA!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nellie said:
Steve just caught up on this thread now it is all clear (SWMBO) ! how does she refer to you HWDWHT (he who does what hes told!!) ha ha
Hit the nail on the head there Nellie! ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Nellie said:
Steve just caught up on this thread now it is all clear (SWMBO) ! how does she refer to you HWDWHT (he who does what hes told!!) ha ha
LOL I like that... :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course she may think I do as I'm told.....

(screech from other room)

...yes dear, I'll do the ironing straight away. ( scurries off, tail between legs, iron in hand!)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to report back on the cross country SWMBO entered.....

Pleased to say she got round ok and without any repercussions though slower than pre-RA of course.
SWMBO has now entered the Gt East Run, 20k, on 18/2 having done a 10 mile training run last Sunday.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts