Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've just got back into running after being away from the sport for a while, I'm taking things easy and trying not to over do it. I'm doing ok except for of neck.
I never had a problem before but know as I'm running I get a right pain in the neck. Down each side of my neck is really tight. I warm up fairly well including my neck. But it doesn't help.
Any one got any idea's?

Cheers Mac.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Mac
Do you notice if you hold your head or shoulders stiff when your running??
I don't know much about this sort of thing but maybe rolling your shoulders may help a little. Don't panic though I'm sure someone will soon come on and give you some more ideas and advice.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I think you are right mickygee I think its probably a postural thing - we often tend to run with our shoulders tensed. Do shoulder rolls before and after runs and when you run try and keep your shoulders relaxed and slid down your back.

A decent massage from a remedial sports therapist will also ease out any tight spots and it feels fantastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's guy's.
I was thinking the same sort of thing. I'm also trying to build up my neck mussles. The only problem being that for me to push my neck back far enough it involves lifting a pint glass to my lip's. Who would of thought it.:p

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Seems to me that your doing everything right mac.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I get a sore neck too and then later a headache.....could be due to the pint(s) not being water!

Seriously I do suffer neck and shoulder stiffness after longer runs/races and have resorted to taking a paracetamol before going out....works for me but I doubt it's to be recommended. No doubt any medics amoungst us can advise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went through a phase of getting a sore stiff neck and shoulders, now seem to be ok. I guess common sense stuff like trying to stay relaxed and making sure your trainers have enough cushionning and are appropriate for your running style - all softens the blow to your spine. Mine started after training for a marathon. I started taking water on longer runs and I think I must have started holding myself tensely because of the water in my hand. Do you take water? Could it be contributing? I guess key is to take water on shorter runs and get used to carrying it first? I dont seem to have any problems now (though if truth be known, I still hate carrying a bottle of water, and find carrying a platypus gives me back pain!):huh:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think you've hit the nail on the head about holding the water - it sometimes happens to me on long runs. It's all about relaxing your head and shoulders, simple as that.

I agree with Steady Edwina though - regular sports massage should do the trick.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I think carrying a bottle may well have something to do with it as you say. I tried a bottle belt but didn't like it bouncing up and down and rubbing on my back. Not sure there's much else one can do during the run apart from trying to stay relaxed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big thanks

Hi all, just a big thanks for all the help and advise given.
It's helping alot, I still get some neck pain but not as much as before.
I find that when I feel my neck beging to hurt, it's because I'm holding my head/neck tightly, if that makes sence. I try to drop my shoulders and stay relaxed.
I've not tried carrying water yet, as I'm only going out for about 1hr 20 min.
Once again many thanks.

Mac.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts