Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you only run on the roads?

I've been overdoing the running as very stressed with exams...

Is it a bad idea to be road running long term - i do ~25 miles a week?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
My usual routes are 90% roads. I have been running between 25-40 miles per week on roads for almost 2 years and never had a problem. But some people are more susceptible to injuries on roads.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are just lucky...

what would you do, say, if you had a sprained R ankle that got better... then worse... then better... then worse... then better... etc.

because i'm not sure what to do now... rest, run less or carry on as ususal... it's driving me nuts... :S

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was doing nearly 100 miles a week on roads and no worries

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
100 miles a week is actually further than an average 14 miles per day. And if you're trying to fit that kind of mileage in through the winter months around a full-time job, most of it will be on the roads (and in the dark, I found).:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Revenged,

I am only a begginner and have only been running since feb, just up to 3 miles now and up until yesterday i have only been road running, however i went to the gym yesterday and did 3 miles on the treadmill and found it so much easier. i don't know if you get less injury's on the treadmill than the road?

Forest

·
Registered
42 Posts
pedestrian said:
100 miles a week is actually further than an average 14 miles per day. And if you're trying to fit that kind of mileage in through the winter months around a full-time job, most of it will be on the roads (and in the dark, I found).:)

No I was training full time in the Army twice a day ... some long runs first thing .. 10 milers and track work and ALL on roads or should I say paths as running on the road might be silly ...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Most of my running is on road though I do do some speedwork on grass/ sand in the summer. 6 xc races too take me off road.

I guess therefore I do 85% on road.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Forest said:
Hi Revenged,

I am only a begginner and have only been running since feb, just up to 3 miles now and up until yesterday i have only been road running, however i went to the gym yesterday and did 3 miles on the treadmill and found it so much easier. i don't know if you get less injury's on the treadmill than the road?

Forest
Running on a treadmill is quite different from running on a road. The most important thing to do on a treadmill is set the incline to 1-2 degrees to simulate running on a road. Also the streeses and strains aren't as bad as bio-mechanicaly the two are very different.

I run almost exclusivly on roads and have suffered no worse, Have done some off-road work in the past tracks trails and forestry, I found my ankles were stronger and more stable as a result of the uneven landings. Regarless of what surface you run on your body adapts well to it and strengthens the parts that need it.

Squint

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I do the majority of my running on roads, cross country type running must be harder as when I do this my foot starts to go numb! Me and my bloody feet:mad:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's good to know...

i thought it was just me who always road runs...

an extra day off running today but hopefully will be fine to run tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`ve never used a treadmill in my life................:d

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always run on roads. There is so many miles of nice road running to do, its harder to find off road places that stretch for miles and allow such choice in what direction to go.

·
Registered
664 Posts
All of my running on road, but as a city dweller not much choice anyway. I sometimes envy those who have country or coastal options (more for the scenery than the surface though, when I think about it).

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've ran on a treadmill once or twice, why I have I found I got very bored after about 10 minutes. There is only so long even I can look at myself in a mirror.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
treadmils can be alright...

they are good to use if you are going to the gym or when you can't run because the roads are icey...

if you are going to use one then i would always vary the gradient (as this is something that you can't change when you run outside)...

i used to do either :

- start on gradient level 1, go to max gradient, work back to gradient 1

or

- do intervals on low and high gradient

but tbh now that it is summer you shouldn't need to use it much...

i looked on my log and i only went to the gym and used the treadmil once in six weeks...

it is no way near as good as running outside...

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Fair point that you can't vary the gradient as easily but you can run on hills, maybe not in London but you can here. On a hill you can't just decide you've had enough and level it out you have to keep going to the top and even if you slow to a walk it's still hard going.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts