Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Dr's this morning to get my health certificate signed for the ROme Marathon. Mentioned that I had Plantar Fasciitis and he said that a friend of his worked for RS Scan nr Ipswich.

Apparantly they do gait analysis then make moulded insoles based on your foot shape. He thinks they are quite expensive (c.£70/pair) but that you can then move them between trainers and you will always have the perfect support.

Sounds good, but has anyone come across them or anything similar?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I over pronate to a ridiculous degree so I got custom-made orthotics about 3 months ago and they've made a huge difference to my running. They're so much more comfortable than the off the shelf variety and I've spent the last 3 months injury free - prior to getting them I was always having to stop every few weeks with ankle or knee pain.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've heard about the pressure sensitive pad things that scan what your foot does as it strikes the ground. The guy who did my sports massage recently has just invested in one... as for the debate of a footscan Vs video gait analysis - I've no idea which is superior!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blimey, just had a quote.

A running assessment (as opposed to a walking assessment) is £130 and takes 1hr 15 mins. Orthotics are another £120 if required!

Maybe out of my price range, especially as I am desperate to get a Garmin :(

I think I will have to find soimewhere that will give me a free gait analysis first.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I over pronate to a ridiculous degree so I got custom-made orthotics about 3 months ago and they've made a huge difference to my running. They're so much more comfortable than the off the shelf variety.
Out of curiosity, which 'off the shelf' variety did you use prior to your custom made orthotics? I've mentioned before on here that I wear orthotics by 'Orthaheel' obtainable from Boots. They normally cost around £25 but have recently been on offer at £19.99 (so I bought another two pairs so I don't have to keep changing them around). They supposedly alleviate heel pain, shin pain, knee pain and back pain by re-aligning the feet, leg and pelvic joints.
It was recurrent calf injuries that made me buy them at the beginning of this year, as a last resort after trying just about everything else. Touch wood, in spite of clocking up a fair bit of mileage, I've not had another calf 'pull' since I started wearing them. Neither have I experienced the back pains that caused me to be on Voltarol pain killers/anti-inflammatories for a lot of the time.
The heel pain relief which the bumph refers to is to do with heel spurs rather than Plantar Fascitis from which I've recently been suffering. My doctor advised 600mg Ibuprofen three times a day for a fortnight. "If that doesn't cure it, come back and I'll give you a cortisone injection" he said. The Ibuprofen didn't work. After I'd finished taking them the pain came back, so I'd to go for the injection. It's not very pleasant having a ruddy great needle stuck through the thick skin right under the heel pad and twisted about to squirt every part of the inflamed area! But it's a lot better now - not 100%, but at least I can put my heel down without experiencing pain. Last weekend I ran a total of 38 miles with no ill effects.
Anyhow, what I'm saying is, I'm now such a believer in 'Orthaheel' that I wear them all the time, in all my shoes and walking boots. In fact, I'd feel a bit nervous without them. And in spite of my Plantar Fascitis problems I was able to keep running throughout, albeit not quite so far - and the pain usually came back again when I stopped!
They take a bit of getting used to. They're bulky and uncomfortable for starters. I walked around in them for a day or two before I started doing short runs in them. Gradually I increased the distance and I can comfortably manage up to twelve miles now. There is one pair of shoes I can't wear them with because, for some reason, the outer edge of the orthotic cuts into my foot. If I'd started with that pair of shoes I'd probably have thrown the orthotics away by now!
Cheers!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Hi Runningfox

To be honest - I can't remember the name of the off-the-shelf ones I had. I think they didn't work so well for me because I pronate to such a huge degree that they just didn't give me the necessary support.

I think the off-the-shelf orthotics are a bit of a lottery but if you find a pair that do the job then it's a much cheaper alternative than going to a podiatrist and having them custom-made.

Glad to hear that you're up and running again

Cheers

Slowsteve

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I have custom made orthotics and find them much more comfortable than the orthaheel ones. Since I've had them they've been readjusted to help sort out some of my shin problems.

Custom made orthotics are not a cheap option but anything to keep me running.

·
Registered
119 Posts
MF,

with Plantar fasciitis often a good stretching plan and a deep heel cupped off the shelf orthotic is suficent.
My concerns with any system like the this is how they can create an orthotic from the information...they can offer lots of data as to how the foot lands what happens next and how it leaves the ground BUT how can you create a 3 dimensional product [the orthotic] from a 2 dimemsional picture [the scan] how can it tell the arch fill required or the amount of soft tissue expansion.

IMO
the only way to make a custom made orthotic is to take a mould of the foot either in plaster, a foam box, a 3D scanner or with the foot directly onto the orthotic product itself, these ways involve the 3D shape of the foot being either transfered to a medium [plaster etc.] or transfered directly to the orthotic itself

the use of video analysis is not a substitute for making the orthotic properly it is merely the diagnostic tool to show what is happening to the foot during gait, pressure mats are exactly that a diagnostic tool and that is where they should remain

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Footman - may have just saved me £250!

So what is your advice? Continue with the frozen golf ball and achilles stretches and taping up my foot when I run, or getting off the shelf orthotics, or going for a custom made molded orthotic?

·
Registered
119 Posts
carry on with the ice /massage /stretching try a pair of superfeet green off the peg inserts [blue if you have a low arch and the green feels too supportive, but the green is bettter for PF], most good outdoor/ski stores will sell them, cost £35 and they have a money back guarantee

if that nmakes an improvement you can gauge that it is either enough, or not quite enough and you need a custom device, if it doesn't work take them back it has cost you nothing other than time

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts