Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken part in this event before? It is on the 10th June and i was thinking of giving it a go. This year it is from Hatherleigh to Holsworthy apparently all down hill except for one hill, could be suitable for a PB!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Do you like half marathons then? I think my favourite distance is 10K. I don't know anything about this race I would ask your club mates but I'd been told the Cheddar Half Marathon in November is a fast flat course and good for a PB.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i'm just mad. At the time i said never again but it didn't take long to change my mind. I am hoping to go to Jersey in November for there half.
I like halfs because speed is not so important.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm doing:
Torbay Half (subject to confirmation)
6 Moor Miles (although they still haven't sent me a race number)
Totnes 10K (they sent me my race number the day after I posted the cheque)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
I'm doing:
Torbay Half (subject to confirmation)
6 Moor Miles (although they still haven't sent me a race number)
Totnes 10K (they sent me my race number the day after I posted the cheque)
Have you done the Totnes 10k before? Rich and I did it a couple of years ago, they twinned the race with another race called 'The Apple Pie Run', similar distance to Totnes but very off road. You got an extra mystery prize for doing both races, which turned out to be a bottle of wine :confused:

The Apple Pie Run turned out to be quite an experience...both Rich and I got stung by a horse fly, which sent my quad into spasm.
Also, we were all warned of a fallen tree through one of the wooded areas along the course, which they hadn't been able to move because there was a wasp nest inside it...so we had to hurdle the tree and then run very fast! :eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
And I've done Torbay many times... I love that race! It's one of those races that, despite being very up and down, is quite fast. I guess it's because you make up on the down what you lose on the up.

It's usually hot on the day of the race, but I love that anyway.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Trinity said:
And I've done Torbay many times... I love that race! It's one of those races that, despite being very up and down, is quite fast. I guess it's because you make up on the down what you lose on the up.

It's usually hot on the day of the race, but I love that anyway.
Yes I've been told its usually hot so must make sure I pack my factor 40 lard and make sure I wear a hat I'm so fair skinned I only have to blink at the sun. I've not done the Totnes 10K either - will I need trail shoes?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Sorry firsttimer but I don't think many of the others live down this way. Why don't you drop Dotty an email she may have done it before.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Steady Edwina said:
Yes I've been told its usually hot so must make sure I pack my factor 40 lard and make sure I wear a hat I'm so fair skinned I only have to blink at the sun. I've not done the Totnes 10K either - will I need trail shoes?

No, it was the Apple Pie Run that was off road... I'm sure the Totnes 10k was road

unless I've got them mixed up :confused:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The entry form said it was along trails and bridalways along the river.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I remember... although vaguely... I don't think you'll need your trail shoes, I ran on my normal runners. You could take them with you just in case, check out what other people are wearing and make the decision on the day

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't have any trails shoes but I was thinking about getting some. There is an off road race I quite fancy trying in the autumn. A friend of mine did it last year and she said she was glad she had some off road shoes.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
well, don't get trail shoes especially for this race because I really don't think you'll need them. But if you're getting some anyway then you could take them along just in case. When is the Totnes race...will you have time to run them in?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Firsttimer
did you do the Ruby? so much for a PB and all down hill???? maybe your friend was thinking of the opposite direction, as they alternate each year, A race near you that I would recomend is 6 Moor Miles just near Yelverton, an enjoyable friendly off road which caters for the full spectrum of running ability both male/female. you could try the Torbay regatta 10K an evening run, as for half marathons not many left around the area, I wouldn't do the Launceston for your first as too hilly to enjoy for the novice runner, try and do Bristol if you want to do a fairly flat course with good support along the way, all local races are on the Tamar Trotters web site which is an excellent source for races. good luck

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
mickey this is quite an old thread and I'm not sure if firstimer still posts on here.

Both firstimer did it the first year it was organised and I think she (firsttimer) won a spot prize. - I don't live in Plymouth anymore

1 - 20 of 20 Posts