Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The training program I follow is taken from the book The Runner's Handbook, written by Bob Glover. It is a very easy program, with small progressions of 1 or 2 minutes every week, during some 12 weeks, but I can alter the rythm to suit my capacities. At the end of the 12 weeks or so, I am supossed to be able to run for 20 minutes non-stop. Well, that's a beginning!

After my first two days of a routine running at 70% of my max. heart rate and alternating it with a brisk walk of tyo minutes (2-2 X 5) I took a day of rest. It is years since I did not make any exercise, so I started to feel all kinds of changes in the body. Muscular mainly, not too many aches, but a general feeling as if I've been supporting the vault of heaven. Today back to schedule, but at the end of it felt really tired. As I planned the day chaotically bad, I started the stretching exercises too late (it takes me about 30min. 10 exercises) eat too late and thus went to work with the food still rumbling in my stomach, and legs that seemed made of lead. Horrible. I don't know how I am going to withstands the next week, cause there is an increase of 1 minute running, so it will be: 3min.run-2min. brisk walk X 4 = 12min. I have the feeling that I am getting over-exhausted, because i get irritated by the most stupid things, so could it be that? or the diet? but maybe is not anything of that, maybe is only that for the first time in years i am doing something worth (apart from stopping smoking one month ago!) and a part of me is rebelling and contemplating decreasing the rythm in order to avoid that tiring feeling. I don't know. Tomorrow is the final day of running for this week, and then 2 whole days off! well, I do stretching exercises every day though, but that is not so demanding. The good side is that I am managing that 70% fairly ok. I am enjoying and getting healthier everyday, and this is what it counts.

There are not short-cuts, really :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
sergi said:
The training program I follow is taken from the book The Runner's Handbook, written by Bob Glover. It is a very easy program, with small progressions of 1 or 2 minutes every week, during some 12 weeks, but I can alter the rythm to suit my capacities. At the end of the 12 weeks or so, I am supossed to be able to run for 20 minutes non-stop. Well, that's a beginning!

After my first two days of a routine running at 70% of my max. heart rate and alternating it with a brisk walk of tyo minutes (2-2 X 5) I took a day of rest. It is years since I did not make any exercise, so I started to feel all kinds of changes in the body. Muscular mainly, not too many aches, but a general feeling as if I've been supporting the vault of heaven. Today back to schedule, but at the end of it felt really tired. As I planned the day chaotically bad, I started the stretching exercises too late (it takes me about 30min. 10 exercises) eat too late and thus went to work with the food still rumbling in my stomach, and legs that seemed made of lead. Horrible. I don't know how I am going to withstands the next week, cause there is an increase of 1 minute running, so it will be: 3min.run-2min. brisk walk X 4 = 12min. I have the feeling that I am getting over-exhausted, because i get irritated by the most stupid things, so could it be that? or the diet? but maybe is not anything of that, maybe is only that for the first time in years i am doing something worth (apart from stopping smoking one month ago!) and a part of me is rebelling and contemplating decreasing the rythm in order to avoid that tiring feeling. I don't know. Tomorrow is the final day of running for this week, and then 2 whole days off! well, I do stretching exercises every day though, but that is not so demanding. The good side is that I am managing that 70% fairly ok. I am enjoying and getting healthier everyday, and this is what it counts.

There are not short-cuts, really :cool:
Sergi,

If you need help getting going than I would get your hands on Treadmill Trainer volume 1.

It is an iPod based running program that guides you step by step through your runs telling you when to walk and when to jog. It's brillant. The best part is that it is based on your own fitness level. So no matter where you're starting from you can feel successful!

I have all the workouts. You can get it at www.myTreadmillTrainer.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Definitely try out the Treadmill Trainer workouts. It truly has made all the difference for me. When i started, I couldn't even run 5 minutes without stopping. After 6 weeks, and 3 runs a week, i can run 36 minutes non stop! Give it a try!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Treadmill Trainer? no thanks!

... the Treadmill Trainer workouts.[/QUOTE]

Hi guys! I went to the page of Treadmill Trainer and all I can say his description of the experiment with the frog made me feel so sick and sad that I vowed not to scrap the place for anymore info. It may be an excellent site and an excellent method too, but if there is anything about running that I wont try is to pay anybody for learning something I can do by myself. Does it sound too pompous? I do apreciate your help anyway... :)

And just to update my running progress, I have changed the training plan from the one of mr. Glover (yes, I admit I pay for running books, shame on me!) to the one appearing in this amazing book The Rough Guide to Running. The approach is more flexible and quicker. In a couple of weeks I will be doing 30min. under this wonderful and terrible sky of Wales. The most important though is that I have managed to incorporate the running routine in my everyday life, and not only that but the pre and post exercise routines, which in total, including the running bit takes me around two hours (including the glorious shower!). In the past I thought I would not use so much time for things that were not exclusively running and I was wrong. The pleasure that I extract in the moments before and after running is immense, and a sort of reward in itself for choosing such an activity to tone body and mind. Big hug to everybody :d

Sergio

·
Registered
264 Posts
juniorrunner said:
Definitely try out the Treadmill Trainer workouts. It truly has made all the difference for me. When i started, I couldn't even run 5 minutes without stopping. After 6 weeks, and 3 runs a week, i can run 36 minutes non stop! Give it a try!
Spam Alert !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts