Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"But David, from Milton Keynes, Bucks, collapsed due to hyponatraemia. The condition, a lack of sodium in his body, can be caused by drinking too much water."

Shocking news, the lad was only 22 and apparently a fitness instructor as well, just out of interest are there distinct differences between this condition and de-hydration that you would notice as a runner ?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ironically the symptoms are much the same.
I am suprised that they only had one death on Sunday. People that are out there for a long time have more oppurtunity to drink lots. Very sad indeed.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I assume the amount you need to drink for a Marathon is dependant on a number of factors, weight, how much you sweat, weather etc. Is there a rough blueprint somewhere that will calculate roughly how much water etc. should be taken on board for a given distance ?.

When I ran the Bristol Half last September I reckon I took on way too much water and had a nasty headache for the rest of that day.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I should imagine for most people tho that they still drink too little water. We're supposed to drink 2 litres a day (other drinks can contribute) and thats when not exercising and headaches can also be a sign of dehydration. Very confusing.........but maybe your not about to die just yet Granty.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can sweat up to 2 litres per hour in the marathon, some will have been close to that on Sunday. I weighed myself before and after, and despite drinking what I thought was plenty, still lost 8 lbs in weight!!
Normally, it would be difficult to dilute your blood with so much water, but on a day like Sunday and running for several hours, sadly it is possible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's very sad to hear of things like this happening.

I was speaking to a Paramedic colleague of mine earlier about it and he told me that most people who suffer with this don't have any noticeable symptoms which is quite worrying.

Apparently it happens quite a bit in people who take ecstacy. They know they need to drink lots of fluids whilst on the drug, but they over-do it and end up with hyponatraemia, sometimes with fatal consequences.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steady Edwina said:
I should imagine for most people tho that they still drink too little water. We're supposed to drink 2 litres a day (other drinks can contribute) and thats when not exercising and headaches can also be a sign of dehydration. Very confusing.........but maybe your not about to die just yet Granty.
I think you are right SE, lungs / legs will give up first if I ever managed a Marathon.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if Steepler has his way, the forum meet was heading for a full on Marathon on Saturday followed by a 'recovery' half Marathon on Sunday :p ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts