Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have started keeping a note of how I do on the Runners Forum Blog section, really good idea this feature on the website!!

My question is, is there a way to read other peoples blogs or are they for the personal viewing of the individual?

Cheers,
O.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks Dan.

One other question. I do a lot of my running just now in the gym on the treadmill. Would this be the same as Cross Trainer or is that different?

Right, time for the gym :)

O.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Cross trainer is quite different, whilst it may use the same muscles it uses them in a different way (different motion of the legs compared to running). Also the cross trainer is a lot kinder on the body as it's a continuous smooth motion, none of the 'harshness' of running with shock sent through the legs and beyond everytime your foot lands.

Both are better in different ways for different purposes - cross trainer is good for helping to improve your running without increasing the risk of overuse injuries.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
On this note... do many people update their running blog? I know i've never used mine! (yet!)
I find it hard enough to keep my own personal training log up to date (even now, when injury has reduced me to only five or six short runs per week View attachment 69 ) without having to update an on-line version.
* Hmmm... to be quite honest I'm so embarrassed/ashamed of how little I'm doing at the moment, that I'm more inclined to keep it to myself...*

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have used the blog only for training purposes, I found it useful to compare from start to finish how I had improved, but once training finished I stopped blogging :embarrassed: .

I have got a garmin and that pretty much does it all for you apart from how rubbish you can feel on some runs ;)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Same as TT, find it useful for recording snippets of info whilst training for something but I too have a Garmin and somethimes forget to fill the online version in.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
plus we have our collective mileage threads, which is a great motivator for getting out to help clock up the miles.

Can't wait to get started again.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
boo hiss, why are you not running?
I am running... but only 15-20 miles a week; which for me amounts to little more than resting.
Did a lot of ligament and tendon damage to an ankle in a cross-country race at the beginning of December, and still have a lot of pain when running. View attachment 73 In over 30 years of running, this is the worst injury I've ever had. Since turning 40, I seem to have become rather accident prone whilst running! View attachment 74 (falling over/slipping on ice/putting my feet down where they really shouldn't go...). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you're getting complacent with experience?

I've never used the training blog on here. My dad found an excel thing, but couldn't be bothered with that... I use mapmyrun to find routes and see how long they are, so I just use their training calender thing. All I want to know is mileage and time, and to keep a track of how much my shoes have done... and that does that (and more), and I can also keep a track of all the extra lil activities like bouldering, yoga and pilates.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I can see the attraction of "Map my run" and other things like that, seeing as we are rapidly becoming a web-based/convenience-led culture. That said, I like having the hand-written accounts. Something more tangible. My earliest logs date back to 1979, and it's nice to be able to look so far back and see how my running evolved. (Although being able to see the details of the subsequent decline isn't quite so appealing).

... As for complacency? Well I just think that I've been unlucky and had some genuine "freak" accidents. :embarrassed:
... Or maybe it's a Yin/Yang thing... Fate balancing things out. I had many lucky years where I was relatively injury-free, and my running was uninterrupted... and now's "payback time". :(

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
Maybe you're getting complacent with experience?

I've never used the training blog on here. My dad found an excel thing, but couldn't be bothered with that... I use mapmyrun to find routes and see how long they are, so I just use their training calender thing. All I want to know is mileage and time, and to keep a track of how much my shoes have done... and that does that (and more), and I can also keep a track of all the extra lil activities like bouldering, yoga and pilates.
Bouldering........:confused: ?????

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
pedestrian said:
I am running... but only 15-20 miles a week; which for me amounts to little more than resting.
Did a lot of ligament and tendon damage to an ankle in a cross-country race at the beginning of December, and still have a lot of pain when running. View attachment 73 In over 30 years of running, this is the worst injury I've ever had. Since turning 40, I seem to have become rather accident prone whilst running! View attachment 74 (falling over/slipping on ice/putting my feet down where they really shouldn't go...). :rolleyes:
When do you think you will start being able to up the mileage again?

I have only had 2-3 years of running and have managed to stack it twice :embarrassed:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bouldering... as is climbing on boulders. I like to think it's a bit more creative than just climbing routes and stuff... although obviously routes requires more stamina... ANYHOO I meant complacency as in not looking where you're going lol, as opposed to growing old and dotty :p Anyway, you are only human, so it's no huge shock that you may not be able to do quite as much as you could manage when you were in your 20s. I'm 21 and don't do nearly as much as you probably... When I'm running 4-5 times a week I might cover 50 miles or so. I bow down to your greatness heh. In 2.5 years of running I've had one injury, which due to my lameness, ended up taking me out of any regular running (like covering 6 miles a week!!!) for a few months.

I used to keep a handwritten log... but found that mpmyrun makes everything look more pretty and can give me sumarries that I'm just too lazy making myself.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
twinkle toes said:
When do you think you will start being able to up the mileage again?

Hard to say really, never having been in this sort of position before. Currently, I'm still limping as I run which leads to imbalance in stride etc... I'm finding that some muscles are being over-worked to compensate for the ankle weakness, thus adding to the original prob. :rolleyes: This is the main reason for the limited mileage; trying to strike a balance between total rest, and maintaining a basic level of fitness. :) Just have to keep plugging away and see what happens... ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
... I meant complacency as in not looking where you're going lol, as opposed to growing old and dotty :p Anyway, you are only human, so it's no huge shock that you may not be able to do quite as much as you could manage when you were in your 20s. I'm 21 and don't do nearly as much as you probably... When I'm running 4-5 times a week I might cover 50 miles or so. In 2.5 years of running I've had one injury, which due to my lameness, ended up taking me out of any regular running (like covering 6 miles a week!!!) for a few months.

I used to keep a handwritten log... but found that mpmyrun makes everything look more pretty and can give me sumarries that I'm just too lazy making myself.
I know what you mean ANS... It does sound like I've started to go round with my eyes closed in the last few years! I'm not entirely convinced that there isn't a case to bring in the "old and dotty" side of the equation too! :embarrassed:

I do still manage (when I'm not falling over and stuff) to achieve the volume of training that I was doing 20-odd years ago; but the speed has been steadily reducing in the last few years. It seems that every injury is leaving me slightly slower than the one before did. :rolleyes:

I dare say that if I was starting out in this day and age, I'd use something like Map My Run to keep a record of my sessions. I just like to keep adding to the box of note books, diaries and bits of paper that I've been writing, er, forever.:d

1 - 20 of 20 Posts