Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hello Dan... didn't like to see you all alone in here so I've come to keep you company and I've brought a friend ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
admin said:
As suggested by Trinity we are looking to set up a support location at this years London marathon.

Who's going to watch? The proposed meeting place is at mile 14/21.

Dan

I'll be there!! I'll be supporting Trin anyway so will be more than happy to look out for a few more sweaty bods . .

I might be able to go to the proposed meeting place in the next couple of weeks whilst I'm in between meetings in London . . I'll check out whether there are railings there and so on . . and the best place to be to see the race in both directions from that point . . I'm thinking specifically of the east end of The Highway where the course turns right into Narrow Street . .

banners and balloons would be good of course . . I'll report back on the venue asap . .

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RichK said:
I'll be there!! I'll be supporting Trin anyway so will be more than happy to look out for a few more sweaty bods . .

I might be able to go to the proposed meeting place in the next couple of weeks whilst I'm in between meetings in London . . I'll check out whether there are railings there and so on . . and the best place to be to see the race in both directions from that point . . I'm thinking specifically of the east end of The Highway where the course turns right into Narrow Street . .

banners and balloons would be good of course . . I'll report back on the venue asap . .
Cheers Rich, let me know if there is a good place for a banner and I'll see if I can sort something out.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, I'm going to make every effort to come and support and soak up the atmosphere, and do whatever needs doing on the day.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I will be going but not sure I will be able to make meeting spot but will try once something is cast in stone,

Will do my very best to look out for all of you running, even more so Steve as we all now know what he looks like... ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
As I'll be running in an arthritiscare top or my club vest...and I guess it'll be the same for other RF marathonites....it'll be important to ensure that those on support duty have large banners so that the runners can stagger across and say hello.

I'm going to have to work on my tuft of hair and let it grow a bit!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If I can't make the meeting point then I will try and make a banner with the forum logo on it and I will wave it at every stop I make to cheer you on

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
aww... I hope we can get a RF support area on the course, but it doesn't sound like many peeps will be going :(

I know from experience that it's much more fun if you can support as a group rather than individually... and the runners definitely notice you more

I'll either be in club vest or RF vest... might even change half way ;)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Of you changing? :d
A new Trinity avatar perhaps..........:d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
why Dave... does my avatar make you nervous ;) It's not loaded you know

·
Registered
113 Posts
RichK said:
I had time to go and look at the junction of The Highway with Narrow Street and although it inevitably looks utterly and totally different on a normal day to when the Marathon's in progress, I've got my doubts now about whether it's a good place . .

Got a couple of other ideas though and hopefully I'll get a chance to get there next week . . so I'll report back as soon as I can . .

:cool:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Just a thought, I have been told that on Lower Thames Street, which is two min walk from Monument Stn, is normally very empty on the race day, having said that it is around the 20 - 22 mile marker, it could be the boost you need as there will be 4 - 6 miles left or it might be too long before receiving support, the other plus is that it being near the station you can hop back on the tube to Westminster, out by Bridge Street (I think) might even see you again at Big Ben, also on right side of the road to run down to the repat area for the finish.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lower Thames Street is a good idea as I seem to remember that the crowd was quite thin there in the stretch just past Tower Bridge

www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/course/images/mile21-24.jpg

but I do think it's late for runners wanting some water or some gels handing to them . . although conversely it's good to see a friendly face later on in the race . .

I'm trying to find a place which gives us a good chance of seeing runners twice. It needs to be on a bend facing the runners so that it catches their eye. I know from experience (as both a supporter and a runner) that the other Forum's support point at Mudchute is great for supporters but terrible for runners as it's on the inside of a bend and you just don't see it unless you know it's there . .

I'm probably trying to find a place that doesn't exist and we'll end up having to compromise . .

the place I rejected last week was at the end of The Highway, no more than 5 minutes' walk from Limehouse Station . .

tomorrow I'll have a look at the junction of Marsh Wall and Heron Quay. A short walk from Heron Quay Station . . with a sharp right hand bend for the runners to negotiate. If we could get on the outside of that corner the runners would see us ahead of them as they approached the bend, and because runners always try to cut the corner there would be a bit of space in front of us . .

It's in the 19th mile, plus it's close to a point in the 16th mile on West Ferry Road. What I want to find out tomorrow is how close the two points really are and whether it's easy to get from one to the other . .

www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/course/images/mile17-20.jpg

course map

www.london-marathon.co.uk/site/images/course_map.pdf

and despite what I've said about Lower Thames Street probably being a little late in the race . . I am open to suggestions!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds good, Rich. As I know nothing about these things I'm happy to accept your decisions on this ( not meaning to pile the pressure on, but appreciating the effort you're putting in)

PS. I know I can probably look this up elsewhere, but what exactly is the date of FLM 2007? :confused:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Karen said:
Sounds good, Rich. As I know nothing about these things I'm happy to accept your decisions on this ( not meaning to pile the pressure on, but appreciating the effort you're putting in)

PS. I know I can probably look this up elsewhere, but what exactly is the date of FLM 2007? :confused:

22nd of April I believe, Karen

1 - 20 of 29 Posts