Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just came across this site and thought it looked really good and could be helpful in the future.

I started running a year ago. Since then I've done a 10k, race for life 5k and have just done Bristol half marathon.

I'm totally addicted to running official events....I love that runners high and the medals are rather nice too.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Howdy Miss R :)

I'm sure you'll find plenty of info and gossip to keep you entertained and motivated on here. Nowt quite like finishing a race is there? :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Welcome - I've got addicted to the official events too, great fun aren't they, here's to many more highs and medals :d

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
hiya and welcome...
the quality of t'shirts at the end can sometimes be the difference between me entering or not :) although the high is why i run :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Welcome Miss R,
The high after my first 1/2 marathon was what kept me running and I still love the feeling of entering a race and getting new PBs or at least trying your hardest to bring all the training together for the big day :)

Plenty of advice and knowledge on this forum so feel free to tap in to it when required.

O.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Welcome Miss R,
The high after my first 1/2 marathon was what kept me running. O.
Although I've experienced 'runner's high' on many occasions while out training in the Yorkshire Dales I've only once been aware of it in a race, my first ever over the fells. It was a 9 mile race over Pendle Hill on a claggy October day with horizontal rain and gale force wind. In retrospect it was a wonderful feeling, like floating above the ground in a luminous atmosphere. It seemed to be all over in no time at all and I was strangely unaware of the miles I'd covered. That was nearly twenty years ago but I still have the Ron Hill jacket I got for winning the O/55's.
Cheers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Am glad everyone is enjoying running as much as I am.

I have only one gripe...I always get a stitch after about a mile and it doesn't go until a good couple of miles later. Any ideas on conquering this annoyance?
:)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum Miss R, glad you are enjoying running.

As for the stitch thing there are a few threads on the forum about them.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
The feeling of euphoria and wellness after a run. Can occur at anytime, but is a good feeling to get you can feel unbeatable and on top of the world all because you ran. Endorphins are great.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Gotta love those endorphins. It is kind of weird when it kicks in sometimes mid run. If I feel really down and lethargic, I can feel completely alive and euphoric after about 3 miles of running. I don't think anything can beat it. It usually lasts up to 2 hours after I stop running. Running is like a drug, but a good one ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know about the high's and have exactly the same stitch problem so I'm off to serach the threads for advice as I have to dig deep to keep going...Just about to have my first 10k race this Sunday so yet to experience that, but I am looking forward to it and then only 4 weeks to the B'ham half marathon..wooohooooo

·
Registered
98 Posts
Welcome to the forum Miss R, glad you are enjoying running.

As for the stitch thing there are a few threads on the forum about them.
OK OK where are the stitch threads then?????? :d

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found a thread that seems to have some useful tips. Go to the Injury & Health section in the forum and there are a few there but one good one is called 'annoying stitch'.

Deano: good luck in your 10k.....don't set off too fast. I did on my first 10k and found it a real struggle to get through the last couple of miles. If you start to struggle use a mantra...mine is 'one step more is one step less'. Either that or I recite the silly, rude versions of nursery rhymes. hehe.

Thanks for the advice peeps.
;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, the main one I use to amuse is this:

Mary had a little lamb, she thought it rather silly so she threw it up in the air and caught it by his....
Willy was a sheep dog, lying in the grass...along came a bee and stung him up the...
Ask no questions, tell no lies, I saw a policeman doing up his...
Flies are a nuisance, bees are worse
That is the end of my silly little verse!

So as you see it's very silly but tends to make me smile as I recite it in my head along to the rhythm of my footfall.

:nuts:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Deano do a search for "stich" something should so up.

Miss R, would you care to share some of these rhymes??
Thanks Squint silly me not looking to see if there was a search...I did say I wasnt a techy person...lol thanks again

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found a thread that seems to have some useful tips. Go to the Injury & Health section in the forum and there are a few there but one good one is called 'annoying stitch'.

Deano: good luck in your 10k.....don't set off too fast. I did on my first 10k and found it a real struggle to get through the last couple of miles. If you start to struggle use a mantra...mine is 'one step more is one step less'. Either that or I recite the silly, rude versions of nursery rhymes. hehe.

Thanks for the advice peeps.
;)
Thanks for the advice Miss R. I am hoping and aiming for a time of around 50 - 55 mins...which I think will be a respectable time and should mean I dont go off fast..or at least that's the plan

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
OK, the main one I use to amuse is this:

Mary had a little lamb, she thought it rather silly so she threw it up in the air and caught it by his....
Willy was a sheep dog, lying in the grass...along came a bee and stung him up the...
Ask no questions, tell no lies, I saw a policeman doing up his...
Flies are a nuisance, bees are worse
That is the end of my silly little verse!

So as you see it's very silly but tends to make me smile as I recite it in my head along to the rhythm of my footfall.

:nuts:
Not bad, I guess that is a fairly tame one too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts