Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the Garmin Ready schedules on the Runner's World site and have been thinking of giving one of them a go.

Has anyone had any experience with them? And do you think the schedules are any good?

Thanks

Grant

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I'm using the sub 3.30 marathon Garmin schedule and it's pretty good. You can go backwards and forwards in the schedule if life gets in the way now and then and you have to swop a run round.

The only thing I find a little annoying is that if say you're on a slow 22 mile run (as I am today :eek: ) it'll take the 22 miles as 1 lap and not give you mile splits, but if you desperately want mile splits you can just use it manually like you would normally

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
They look pretty good, but I would not use them, my style of training is very different. Eg. a 3 mile run is scarcely a warm-up, I don't use those at all. 5 is pretty much my minimum.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trinity said:
I'm using the sub 3.30 marathon Garmin schedule and it's pretty good. You can go backwards and forwards in the schedule if life gets in the way now and then and you have to swop a run round.

The only thing I find a little annoying is that if say you're on a slow 22 mile run (as I am today :eek: ) it'll take the 22 miles as 1 lap and not give you mile splits, but if you desperately want mile splits you can just use it manually like you would normally

Thanks for the positive feedback.:)

The 22-miler being 1 lap is a bit of a nuisance, as I set up the Garmin to auto lap every mile. But on the other hand, it might be a small price to pay for not having to program eberything into Training Centre myself.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Katten said:
They look pretty good, but I would not use them, my style of training is very different. Eg. a 3 mile run is scarcely a warm-up, I don't use those at all. 5 is pretty much my minimum.
the sub 3.30 schedule has a minimum run of 5 miles

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Is there any scope to load the program into training centre then adjust it to autolap every mile?

I've tried all different things with it but gave up in the end... if I want mile splits I use it manually, but I'm not too worried about them on the longer runs anyway, it's just the 8's, 9's and 10's that I find the extra information useful

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trinity said:
I've tried all different things with it but gave up in the end... if I want mile splits I use it manually, but I'm not too worried about them on the longer runs anyway, it's just the 8's, 9's and 10's that I find the extra information useful
For the 8m's plus, I just manually adjust the run on the watch, changing it to 1 mile and adding a repeat step. Only takes 30 seconds and gives a lot more info.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Alan W said:
For the 8m's plus, I just manually adjust the run on the watch, changing it to 1 mile and adding a repeat step. Only takes 30 seconds and gives a lot more info.
ok, maybe I'll play around with it then, before my long one on Sunday :confused:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have my watch beep at every mile which gives me info on each mile, it is to do with your laps part of the watch, I will try and find out for you if you don't get it done in the mean time.

TT

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
The Garmin does that under the manual operation Twinks, it's just with the programmed schedules that it doesn't... without a bit of tinkering apparently, according to Alan

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
oooops beg your pardon obviously didn't read the post correctly, I'll stay out of it :confused:

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trinity said:
The Garmin does that under the manual operation Twinks, it's just with the programmed schedules that it doesn't... without a bit of tinkering apparently, according to Alan
I uploaded the sub-4hr training schedule into Training Centre and had a wee look at it. I then created a separate new workout of my own and I think I may have worked out the tinkering Alan was referring to.

It looks like all the runs are set up as a single step within the workout. Therefore, to get a mile split at every mile on a 20-miler for example, you would have to edit the workout to have twenty 1-mile splits in it.

Its would take a bit of work to edit every single workout - but if you're only doing this for the 8, 9 and 10 milers, it might be worthwhile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I downloaded the 3:30 race and then once it was added to my garmin I quickly edited the long and steady runs so for example;

22 miles slow

1. go 1 mile. keep speed between 8:55 and 8:35
2. repeat the steps below 21 times.
3. go 1 mile. keep speed between 8.55 and 8.35

This is what I have done to change each of the long runs so that the auto laps show up. Well I hope so as I start my training on monday

It shouldnt take you more than 10 mins to edit the steps for all of them.

For the half, full and 10k I think I will just press the start button on the day and not use the program

Let me know if it helps

Thanks
andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts