Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With my local Tesco's having sold out of this months PCGamer !! :asleep: I decided to, for the 1st time ever, to pick up the Runners World Magazine and have a browse through. My initial thoughts were that you did not get very much for your £3.80, lots of 'Why did you start running' and a comprehensive list of races at the back but not a lot else.

Does anyone here get this mag on a regular basis, and if so how would you rate it.?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I subscribed and get it every month.

To be honest I've been thinking the same thing the last couple of months. I get the impression that it a lot of re-hashed articles. I'd say if you dug out copies from a couple of years ago you'd find the exact same content.

I'd be interested to know if some of the more experienced runners here find it any good.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I used to subscribe. It does get repetitive after a while but of course there is only so much one can say. It's useful in terms of picking up training schedules for various distances as well as for clothes reviews for example.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I used to subscribe too but got bored with repetitive articles and quite often the magazine was going unread, so I cancelled the subscription and haven't missed it at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not ashamed to say that I cheat...

They often do deals on subscriptions that mean you can get 3 issues for £1. Wait three months then cancel the subscription.

Wait another month or so and then they offer you the same deal again.

RK

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In that case, it sounds like if I buy a couple then chances are I won't need to buy some for a while, some of the articles did sound intresting.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I admit, I've been avidly reading them for the last 3 months, and still enjoying it. I'm sure the novelty will start to pall in some few months more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also read RW but like many of these types of magazines they simply re-jig the articles and stick them back in a year later. Men's Health and Men's Fitness are exactly the same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
rkavanagh said:
Uncanny - just got an email from Runners World and they have the offer going again (they nearly always have).

Richard
Excellent, I've just got myself a 3 month subscription :p

I've just got to remember to cancel the thing when the 3 months is up :huh:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I started subscribing on the 3 issues for a pound deal about 9 months ago and now pay £7.50 a quarter.The tesco's deal is clearly better though!:huh:
It can get repetitive,I agree,but there are usually a couple of articles that I find interesting.It was in the last issue that reviews were carried out on energy bars and gels.one or two that I hadn't tried before.However I did purchase Viper extreme energy bars and the power bar power gels after reading this and can honestly say that my 20 mile run this weekend just gone was one of the most comfortable that I've ever had.£7.50 a quarter well spent in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
bone idle said:
I'd be interested to know if some of the more experienced runners here find it any good.
I'm afraid that the publication in question is seen as nothing more than a bad joke with the runners that I know. ;) It is probably of some use to beginners, and is therefore able to survive on a constant stream of new runners taking up the sport.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I've been a subscriber for quite a while now, and I still read it nearly cover to cover each month (other than the few articles than I really can't bring myself to read).

It's obvious that they repeat info and articles in there, which is fair enough really, but it can be very useful when you're looking to buy new kit as you can usually find the best deal on trainers etc from the mag much more easily than online (IMO), though of course I still check anyway!

Kit reviews and comparisons can also be interesting as well... though I do find it annoying sometimes when they review various bits of kit and don't say which is the best! (even if it is only in their opinion!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts